calling all CRHing Pros!! Especially dimes!

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 2 boxes of halve dollars a week, and try to do some misc. hunting on my way to dump, but ive decided i really want to incorporate dimes more, ive seen pretty steady averages when i do get them, plus i really like the mercury dime... dont know why, i just do lol.

The biggest thing that kept me from doing any volume was i had to reroll the first 2 boxes i did.. never again, well now i have a dump bank with a coin counter, but the last time i dumped a box of dimes, i lost about 3.40 to "pennies"... i learned from you guys ( shout out to THORNE and MIHUNTER) for your help already, because i recently dumped a couple hundred into my banks coin counter, slowly and it counted spot on.

First off, my plan is to try to isolate a bank with clear wraps, i think that is must, right? but other then that im looking for advise from you senior guys/gals. i have 2 more boxes to go thru, and hopefully that doesnt kill it for me lol. but i really would like to add 2-4 boxes a week, maybe more depending on if i can get clear brinks, maybe more, and my dumping restraints, il have to wade the waters first.

Any ideas? And thanks for your time, i value the help you guys always share, ive learned allot from making a account here an i owe you guys for keeping me straight, with as much time and wisdom allot of you have, this place is a cache of knowledge..:treasurechest: haha
HH

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I have searched dimes steadily for over six years. Lately I search about $2k in customer rolled per month. It takes only seconds for me to wrap up in the original roll. I dump about $500 at a time over the counter and get cash.

When I do use the coin machine, the tellers know I'm dumping dimes. If dimes are counted as cents, it reflects that on the receipt. I am reimbursed for the difference.

Disclaimer: This may not work for everyone.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the input.

I have a pretty good method for rerolling some of the dimes, and both times I had dimes counted as cents they did not seem to want to reimburses me, I didn't fight it very hard over 3$, it was like 1.80 at ad 1.60 at another, the first guy refused to believe it, the second one I brought it up during a bag change for halves and she looked inside the penny bag and saw dimes... she said she didn't know how to handle that and I told her I wasn't to worried about it, now if I get into the dimes heavy and it continues to happen, I may have to work something out.

would you recommend CWR over MWR? of course it is still a number game and the more searched = more found (statistically) I guess same as halfs where u can find almost anything inside those CWR
( and hope for one with some shaky handwriting)

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I roll all my dimes. I've gotten really fast at it. The clear brinks rolls are nice because you can search without opening. After searching, I trade them for cwr, which tend to be somewhat better than the mwr.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be a jerk, but what exactly is your question? You need to test the waters for yourself, see what banks work the best in your area. I personally think MWR's are a waste of time and only search CWR's, but the only way you will find out what works is by doing it.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not trying to be a jerk, but what exactly is your question? You need to test the waters for yourself, see what banks work the best in your area. I personally think MWR's are a waste of time and only search CWR's, but the only way you will find out what works is by doing it.

i guess there is not really a question.. just looking for any tips or tricks.. things one picks up over time, not that their is allot to it, i was just reaching out to all of you that do this on a steady basis, i think ive got a good grip, but thought it would not hurt to ask the pool of knowledge that is on this site.

i have read the beginners guide, and have been keeping up wit the DIMES thread, i guess i was just hoping for a old timer to say " here, this is the secret to the AG" or something. im not trying to waste anyones time, but i feel like their is always more to learn.

thanks joe777cool, i was looking r some insight/opionions on MWR/CWR, i am aware that individual results may very, but i also believe in averages.

i plan on talking to my pickup bank when i get my halfs because they are always good to me and throw all there loose halfs at me as soon as i walk thru the door, maybe i can get some help with CWR dimes too

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
. . . the last time i dumped a box of dimes, i lost about 3.40 to "pennies". . .
Some machines use thickness to sort/count.
Losses on those machines can be exaggerated even further because two stacked dimes count as a nickel or a cent.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some machines use thickness to sort/count.
Losses on those machines can be exaggerated even further because two stacked dimes count as a nickel or a cent.

thats a good point, i counted my loses from the receipt that showed how much of what was counted.. i dont remember if i had did the math that day of what i was dumping/had.. when i try multiple banks in a day i was loose track of how much i starter with, or what i should have

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is your yield from dimes? does it justify doing more?

i have done a total of 5 boxes so far, and i have 4 dimes i believe, 2 merc 3 rosi.

i dont feel i can make a good avg. because as of yet theve all been from different banks, but all in all 5 boxes from different banks, from different areas as well HAS produced well in my eyes.
if i was loosing 3+$ a box to counting errors then i would think it would not be worth it, last time i tryed pouring slower, i think you suggested that, and i had no problems.

i dont do this only for monetary gain, i enjoy the hunt, and i enjoy collecting. i think once i get a better idea of each individual banks dime situation i can better I.D. the trend.

i never did dimes on a consistent basis, the first time i got them it was because i couldnt get dimes and wanted to try something new. i think one box produced a merc and rosi from the same box, but rerolling stunk. then a little while later i tryed again and got skunked, and didnt get anymore dimes for months, until a few weeks ago when i wanted to keep my 1 a week goal, and bought a box of dimes, and surprise surprise, lone rosi. then had the counting issue.. but u guys gave me good advice and i tryed again, and had no issues dumping this last weekend, i bought 3 boxes, and brinks box produced 1 merc and 1 rosi, then i did the strings box and got skunked, i have 1 more box at home and am looking for the motivation to go thru it, i think that box may also give me a good idea of the odds, as its from the same place i bought the skunk i did after the brinks, but none of those boxes are even from around here lol, there way up north.

i am hoping to just add a couple boxes to my normal pickup, and maybe hunting dimes alittle harder when i road trip, and get the tellers that look out for halfs to look out for CWR of dimes

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread