Found My First Ever SHIELD NICKEL!!!

199slowking

Tenderfoot
Aug 22, 2013
san diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve never been one to post. Just lurking and reading about some of these awesome finds people are getting nearly every day. Iā€™ve been hunting for maybe 8 months now, very low volume in comparison to most of the people here. On a good week I can go through maybe a few boxes of nickels, but usually just around a hundred bucks of mixed denominations. I have so far plucked out of circulation over 300 wheat cents, over $20 face in pre 60 nickels, 4 buffalos, 15 war nicks, a couple mercury dimes, 6 silver Roosevelt dimes, a multitude of proofs and a magicians coin, many nifc halves and 4 40% as well as one 57 ben in a teller tray. Also from a teller not too long ago I got 40 Eisenhower dollars which had 2 type 1 bicentennials in them, on top of that I later got some pretty rough, but cool none the less bills, one being a 1934 $5 silver certificate, the other being a 1953 $2 bill. I am also big into picking up every cent I see and checking CoinStars and the coin counters at the Navy Feds along the way, in total amounting to a little over $115 in clad and countless foreign coins found including a 1944 U.S. minted silver 10 centavos Philippines coin just last week. Unfortunately my phone camera isn't the best, but you can clearly see what I never thought I would ever find in a million years. An 1883 Shield nickel that I flicked out from underneath the coin counter at my local bank with a pencil. As rough as it may be, this has got to be one of my favorite finds so far. Although I will be graduating high school soon, I hope to keep this hobby up as long as I live.

shield nick.jpg shield nick2.jpg

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That coin definitely looks like it was dug! Great find!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on finding a shield nickel, that's a find many on here can only dream of finding. Welcome to the forum, too! We are looking forward to reading your posts :)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup. I'd say that nickel spent many years in the ground.

Definitely...looks like somebody dug it and it eventually found it's way to the Coinstar..and someone plucked it out of the reject tray and said "Eww..what a rusty old piece of crap" and tossed it...ha! likely scenario..but you never know. Welcome to T-Net! seems as a high-schooler you have your proverbial "stuff" together..not to judge, I just wished that I had been into something like that in high school instead of Little Kings and big-block musclecars...thx for sharing!! look forward to seeing your posts...ddf

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad you decided to make a post. I've found one as well. It was not in nearly as good of shape. I almost tossed it myself, but instead cleaned it (I initially thought it was a slug or scrap metal). I think I can tell the date, and of the 2-3 possibilities, none are key. I'm proud of my find. I think that makes it my oldest find yet! congrats. They are SUPER rare to find hunting.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You'll forever remember this coin, years from now, when the question comes up, as; "What has ever been your oldest, coolest, or strangest coin found while CRH? Great fine,
P.S. your officially hooked.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
outstanding find. last scrounge I had from under a coinstar was a zinc, stuck to the floor from spilled soda. shows you gotta be lucky and at the right place/right time... oh yea, kept it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread