Found 2 old rolls of SBAs. What to do with them?

jmc_NWA

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys,

I was at my pickup bank this morning and the teller saved these for me, along with 6 clad Ikes, a 1950 $5 bill and 1977 $20 bill.

I've never looked into SBAs before, but told myself yesterday I should start buying them if tellers have them. On the roll showing both obverse I'm 99% sure they're both 'normal' rim. But what do I do about the roll showing both reverse?

Thanks for the advice!

20140517_SBA-1.jpg
20140517_SBA-2.jpg
20140517_SBA_Wrap.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
For what it's worth I found 2 rolls just like this 9 months ago and I kept them. No idea if they're worth keeping.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty cool. A couple of years ago I had one of my best collection dump scores ever that included some really nice condition AU+/Unc Ben's & '64 Ken's, 10 Unc solid date/design state quarter rolls and about 10 old mwr SBA's with old faded white and gray wrappers that I suppose are OBW rolls like yours. The SBA's were mostly '79P's with a few '80S's mixed in. A lot of the coins look like they have some slight toning like yours do. I opened most of the rolls to check for any near date (wide rim) '79P's but didn't find any, but I still have 3 of the rolls I've never opened yet - I suppose its about time I did lol.

Maybe u might have one or more near date '79P's in one of your rolls. U can very carefully open the end of the rolls and ease the coins out if u don't want to damage the wrappers and re-roll them.

Its good having nice tellers looking out for u and saving coins and old bills for u. Good luck and HH!

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd open them. As of now you only have $50 in SBAs. You could just open them, check for near dates, then spend the rest.

Or keep them as is, it's ultimately your call.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd open them. As of now you only have $50 in SBAs. You could just open them, check for near dates, then spend the rest.

Or keep them as is, it's ultimately your call.

First search for near dates, then donate the rest of them to jeff-of-pa, because his he hasn't been posting much lately and needs some motivation, and nothings better than some jingling Susan B Anthonies in your pocket

Danman

Dec 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like somebody was holding onto them for several years and gave up trying to sell them for a premium. Still a neat find.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like somebody was holding onto them for several years and gave up trying to sell them for a premium. Still a neat find.

Very unlikely. IF you ask for a banks dollar coins, plenty have SBA rolls, in old wrappers like this. I suggest going to a small town, bank that's been there for at least 40 years, and I garutnee they will likely have rolls of these.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Open them up and look for the 1979-P "Near Rim", the 1979-S "Type II - Clear "S" Mintmark", the 1981-S "Type II - Flat Mintmark" and/or any Mules (i.e. Dollar Obverse or Reverse struck on one side and the opposite side being struck with an opposing Quarter Die - Dollar Obverse with Quarter Reverse or Dollar Reverse with Quarter Obverse).

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread