Road trip = $1,100 / oz silver at face....

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Took a road trip to Florida yesterday to hunt some coins. Did very poorly on halves, could only scrape up about $800 worth and managed a measly 2 40%ers. Normally I plan a little better for road trips so I think the failure is largely my own fault. The good news is I can now add Florida to my CRH'ing silver finds states. Now up to VA, IL, MO, WA, ID, OR, CA, LA, NC, GA, SC, and now FL, all in the last 15 months.

Picked up just over $400 in dimes, ended up with 1 CWR Rosie, 1 paper wrapped MWR Rosie and the wife found a very nice clear wrapped MWR '44 Mercury. Only our 2nd Merc from CRH'ing, the 1st from a MWR, thought we've also found 3 from Coinstars. Also had a 5 Pence reverse ender on a roll that included a Barbados coin as well.

Picked up $230 in nickels. Had a P reverse war nickel ender. Ended up with 3 total war nickels, the 8-year old found a 'D' dateless Buffalo, '73-S in good condition, and a couple of '09's. The 6 year old found a full 5 step '47-D. We generally keep all the pre-60's as we're trying to fill up a Jefferson book solely from CRH'ing. We were stuck on 9 openings for several months. About a months ago we found a '49-S, bringing us down to 8 openings. During the hunt we didn't really find anything noteworthy. As I was going through the pre-60's I found a '38-D with 4 steps that the wife found but thought it was a '58-D. Now we're down to 7 holes in the book. For what it's worth we found 3 '38-S's before we found the '38-D.

Turned 2 reverse wheat enders into a grand total of 10 wheats. No key dates.

Overall I was disappointed with the halves but the Merc, 2 Rosie's, 3 war nick's, Buffalo, proof Nickel, and the very nice '38-D turned it into a good day. Plus I dumped a couple grand in halves and several hundred in IKE's.

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
You and the family did real good with the nickels, and a '38D w/steps is a great find - sure is a lot better than a common date '58D lol. Just curious, did u dump all those Ike's at the bank? Your LCS might offer u a little something over fv for them. My LCS pays $1.05 each for them which isn't much but if u have a lot of them then even just a 5% profit can add up to a fair amount of money to make it worthwhile.

HH!

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also keep a list of states that I've CRHed already. So far 37 of 50.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
That's still a pretty nice haul!

I have yet to find a war nickel in rolls this year.

Ouch. Since I moved down here I've hunted $1,418 worth of nickels and have 13 war nickels, 2 dateless 'D' mint Buffalo's, 3 Proof nickels, a '55, '38-D, '38-S and several other nice lower mint nickels ('49-S, etc). Overall been pretty decent so far.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
You and the family did real good with the nickels, and a '38D w/steps is a great find - sure is a lot better than a common date '58D lol. Just curious, did u dump all those Ike's at the bank? Your LCS might offer u a little something over fv for them. My LCS pays $1.05 each for them which isn't much but if u have a lot of them then even just a 5% profit can add up to a fair amount of money to make it worthwhile.

HH!

Yeah, left 'em with the good folks at Suntrust. I've thought about it before but never really looked into it. 5% is a free couple of bucks but even if they'd take them at face it'd save the trouble of dumping them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread