Going to start Coin Roll Hunting

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So up until yesterday I had never even heard of this, but after watching loads of YouTube videos I think I'm going to give it a try. It's seems like half dollars are the best ones for silver right? I pretty sure I can get them but I don't throw where to dump them. Do banks still have coin counting machines? I think it should be good where I live because it's a pretty rich area so I doubt a lot of people do this. So basically I'm looking for 1970 and lower for silver, the 40% and 90%. Is there anything else to look for besides like proofs and stuff? I enjoy stuff like this and I'm not trying to get rich but maybe a few bucks here an there for fun. Is it still worth doing these days? Let me know. Tia

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Just keep in mind, most YouTube videos only post about silver being found. And same here, people generally Don't post about our massive skunk streaks. (Skunk streaks are consecutive boxes containing no silver).
Good luck!

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best advice is already listed here. Take an hour or two And read a few thousand posts. There is a treasure trove of info here. All questions have already been answered

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
chillydawg, dont listen to these naysayers, I quit my job, paid off my college loans, and have a giant collection of silver all because of coin roll hunting. as for youtube videos, watch virtualpaul's CRH'n videos, he shows it how it is, cause the reality is you are going to get skunked. He shows getting skunked, cause thats reality. If you get skunked on the first 10 tries, try another district,

OP
OP
Chillydog

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys, I am going to go try to get my first box tomorrow and I let you know what happens.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hahahaha YouTube vids-
Oh man those are such hype- except virtualpauls- just know your finds willnmost likely be skunks- or if youre lucky youll get 1-2 40% per box and thats a great avg nowadays- honestly its cheaper right now to just go buy ag but if you have extra $$$$ to spend on gas and have extra time and low expectations on finding ag then jump in and GL

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the month of May I searched $5000.00 (ten boxes) in half dollars. I found two 40%ers and one Bender. All in different boxes. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

OP
OP
Chillydog

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so just got my first box. The tellers had never heard of coin roll hunting and have never had anyone ask for half dollars. I asked if I could order a box and they said Ya come in tomorrow. Lol the nicest visit ever... You guys scared me about even asking haha. It looks like all CWR but I'll see what I can find.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for your info its best not to tell to many tellers what your doing. When others get wind of what's going on two things could happen. COULD!! they could cut your box orders off.(not order for you. Or they could simply start checking for the goods before you get there.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
However I hope you fond lots. Keep us posted. And welcome to Tnet

strycker

Mar 26, 2013
Winchester, Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75LTD, White's TDI, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 350, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My brother is into CRH and used to do very well. Now it's feast or famine. Mostly the latter. He's slowed down hunting because he started getting the same coins back. It's all about the rotation and the companies supplying and picking up. As for other things to look for, he's found proofs and the mirror like finish ones when he goes through the actual coins. May not be worth what silver is, but still something more collectible. Definitely try to see who drops off at the bank and picks up (ie. Wells Fargo, Guardia, etc.) to make sure you get rotation and not the same coins directly back. My two cents..hope it helps.

OP
OP
Chillydog

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol OK so I got into the box and I realized every roll is marked so I got someone's dump... Time to find a new bank haha

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol OK so I got into the box and I realized every roll is marked so I got someone's dump... Time to find a new bank haha

Make sure you search them all. It could be a mix of several different customers or someone that doesn't know about 40%ers.

OP
OP
Chillydog

Chillydog

Jun 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you search them all. It could be a mix of several different customers or someone that doesn't know about 40%ers.

Lol I did and trust me there was nothing... Only 5 out of the box had a slight shine to them... Should I order a box from the mint from that bank or just go to a different bank?

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its best to have one type of curior (garda brinks or what not) for pick up and a different one for drop off. Id try and get another from there and see if you can get past the reroll dump.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They don't come from the mint in boxes. The courier companies roll and ship them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread