Small Collection dump - what to do

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A teller I have built a relationship with let me know that someone had brought in some halve in really good shape. I swung in after work and there were 20 halves in uncirculated condition, all late 80s, early 90s, p & d. No silver, but I was stoked to replace my halves book with these bu coins.

Before I left I asked how these came in and the teller said a guy cashed them along with all these other coins. He showed me a bunch of other rolls of cwrs and some older mwr of pennies. I took them all, and was super excited to search them.

From the rolls I found the matching dimes, pennies and quarters of the 20 halves, p&d. No nickels tho:icon_scratch: There were two perfect proof quarters, 16 buffalo nicks (mid 20s half had dates), and 5 rolls of early 70s mwr of pennies labeled by year. Some pics below.

My question to you is what would you do with the mw pennies? I assume they are worth more sealed? They cost me .50 cents. What could I get selling online? From what i can tell they are solid rolls of the year written on the roll. I don't search or collect cents so any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
image.jpg image.jpg

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay is the best "price guide" in existence. Unless you have a unique item, a quick search will show how much your item(s) are currently bringing.

The problem I personally would have in selling those rolls, is that since you did not roll the coins yourself, you cannot be 100% sure what they contain and/or the condition of what's inside.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The problem I personally would have in selling those rolls, is that since you did not roll the coins yourself, you cannot be 100% sure what they contain and/or the condition of what's inside.

This.

I got a few rolls of MWR state park quarters a month ago (all the rolls had P reverses and the 2013 Mount Rushmore on the end), cracked one of those rolls open and there were new 2014-D Shenandoah quarters mixed in.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome, I personally wouldn't sell the cent rolls, they are really cool in their original MWR's from 41-42 years ago! Why open them now. I would keep them because wouldn't it be cool for somebody to have an unopened 100 year old roll of pennies 60+ years from now?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Some nice finds. Like ABM said, ebay is probably the best/most accurate current price guide there is. So u could check ebay for recent sold auctions of comparable coins then maybe stop by your LCS sometime and see what they are willing to offer u. They may want to open one or more of the rolls to confirm the dates and condition before or after an agreed upon price idk. Btw, it doesn't look like u have any '72(P)'s from what I can see in the pics but if any of the rolls are '72(P) u should open that roll to check for any DD's. That would be a jackpot find - esp in unc condition, although quite unlikely.

This proves once again it sure pays to have good relationships with tellers.

Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice finds. Like ABM said, ebay is probably the best/most accurate current price guide there is. So u could check ebay for recent sold auctions of comparable coins then maybe stop by your LCS sometime and see what they are willing to offer u. They may want to open one or more of the rolls to confirm the dates and condition before or after an agreed upon price idk. Btw, it doesn't look like u have any '72(P)'s from what I can see in the pics but if any of the rolls are '72(P) u should open that roll to check for any DD's. That would be a jackpot find - esp in unc condition, although quite unlikely.

This proves once again it sure pays to have good relationships with tellers.

Good luck and HH!

There were a few other cwr penny rolls that did have bu 69, 70, and specifically the 72p you mentioned. No luck though on any of the dd varieties. That would have been an ultimate find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread