First Box of Pennies & Nickle Hunt Results

nwcleaningllc

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So today was our first hunt! Went through a box of nickles and pennies. I saved any nickles that were pre 1948, found one 1943 which is silver? Then we found the 9 wheats. How did we do?

hunt.jpg

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Some pretty decent finds, and yes the '43 is silver. Just curious, why do you only save pre-'48 nics? You should also look for any '50D nics also - those are the key date Jefferson nickels, but very hard to find.

Good luck and HH!

OP
OP
N

nwcleaningllc

Jul 26, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no idea why, still learning! :) So I should look for 1950d? Or any 1950d to 1959d?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Have no idea why, still learning! :) So I should look for 1950d? Or any 1950d to 1959d?

Well, everyone has their preference. Some nickel hunters save any pre-'60's, others only save pre-'56 nickels and others are more selective than that. The '55(P), '51S, '50(P), '49S and '48S nics have low mintages as well as the '50D which is the key date so maybe saving those in addition to any pre -'48 dates would be a good idea. Btw, any '42 - '45 nic's with the big mint mark above the dome on the reverse are silver. I can't see all the dates in your pic so I'm not sure if you might have any other silver in addition to the '43 you found.

Good luck and HH!

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a big warnic fan myself, but besides finding war nickels, you can find all kinds of cool things in nickel rolls. Among them are proof nickels, error nickels (some of which you'll recognize when you see them), buffalo nickels (yes, they still exist in the wild!), foreign coins including silver Canadian nickels, V nickels (haven't found one yet, but still hoping...), and if you experience an especially good run of beginner's luck, you may even find a 1944 "Henning" counterfeit nickel, which used to be almost worthless but now fetches closer to $100. In any case, welcome to TNet and HH (Happy Hunting)! :occasion14:

BTW, the warnic in your picture appears to be in terrific shape! You might want to put it in a tube to keep it from getting beat up, and whatever you do, don't clean it at all--it would ruin the coin's value as a collectible, however the silver value (about $1.15 at the moment) would still be there.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread