enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't really matter. Another loomis bank will be getting boxes from the same supplier.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found it doesn't really matter who your supplier is and who handles your dumps. Just go thru as many boxes as you can. I get roughly the same silver from all my boxes (on average). For years I dumped only at BofA in my area, but when I order boxes from BofA up the street from where I dump, I still find the same silver I do from Chase or other sources. My 3 or 4 best boxes actually came from BofA, during a time that I was dumping like crazy into the same banks (different branches obviously).

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 2 boxes of halves a week from one bank. Loomis is the provider. I dump at Dunbar banks.

Should I just up my volume at that same bank or go to a different loomis supplied bank and order more?

What have you found successful?

If it's all coming from loomis does it really matter?

Thanks!

It really isn't going to matter as its mostly luck. While it technically is statistically advantageous to dump your rejects onto another supplier, unless you're doing massive volume that slight advantage is all but negligible. I've had to dump into my own supply from day 1 as Loomis is the only game in town. I've never marked any halves myself, but I have dumped MANY uniquely holed/marked/stickered/plated/painted/etc halves that I would easily recognize. I've never had a recognizable one come back. Think of it this way - your supplier is likely sitting on several hundreds of boxes worth of halves at any given time. You adding a few to the pile isn't going to change much. It would be very much like trying to pick the lone red poker chip from a bag of 100 or so white chips. You adding 1 more white chip to the bag isn't going to effect your odds that much. Also, I can all but guarantee there are many CRHers dumping into your Loomis supply. You and many others are dumping into other CRHers' supply.

Its all in the luck of the draw really. Ordering more boxes from a different Loomis supplied bank might score you a great box that you wouldn't have gotten otherwise, even though it came off the same truck that delivers to the bank you use now. Then again, getting more boxes from the same bank might land you that good box that otherwise would have went to someone else. Then again, ordering some boxes from your dump supplier might score huge. Then again, skipping a week (or two, or ten) might alter the flow of boxes so that a dream box ends up in your hands. Or doubling up this week, but cutting back the following week might do the trick. See what I mean? There is no way to predict what will work out the best.

My advice is to order from whatever bank is willing to order (which isn't always easy to find) and not worry about where they come from. I personally would choose convenience (fewer miles to drive, bank(s) close to home/work, etc.) over coin supplier. Also, I don't know how high you're wanting to increase your volume, but just keep in mind that CRH (or any hobby for that matter) can go from a fun activity to not-so-fun work very easily.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am unable to do so efficiently, but it is best to order from one supplier and dump in another, meaning that you dump on all dunbar banks and pick up from all loomis banks.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is always a good idea to spread things out so as to not put too much pressure on one pickup or dump resource.
Establish a relationship with an additional supply bank. That way, it doesn't rock the boat with your existing supply.

Change things up from one to the other occasionally so that you don't wear out your welcome.

P.S. Do the same with your dump banks - spread as thin and wide as your circumstances will allow.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it all matters. I think which supplier you order from matters. I think which supplier you dump into matters. I also think when/where you order matters. I'll leave it up to you to figure out. I'm not going to elaborate on it here, but I have definitely seen in my experience that everything that we do with this hobby can have an impact on the finds. It could all be luck of the draw, but once really started critically thinking about the mechanics of pickups and dumps, my finds grew exponentially.

OP
OP
Zomotion

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the detailed input. Even though most of you said it doesn't really matter, it still helps! This way I can stop overthinking things. Spreading the additional dumps out and not overloading one bank with orders is a great idea. I like the idea of ordering from a separate branch of a dump bank.... See what turns up.

I like the poker chip comparison!

I do want to keep this hobby fun, I can see how ordering too much can snowball into a big pain in my arse. Thanks all, HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions