A nickel for your thoughts.

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been going through boxes of nickels and find an occasional silver war nickel, or little more rarely, a buffalo nickel. That is all well and good.

My question is: Is there any reason to keep the non-silver nickels dated 1938-1949? They are not all that common, but when you go though a bunch boxes of nickels, one can accumulate rather large numbers of these coins.

So what do you think? Keep the non-silver, non-buffalo nickels from the 30s and 40s or give them back to the bank?

Upvote 0

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally would give them back. There isnt much to look for outside of war nicks, V nicks, and buffalos, but be on the lookout for 1950 D nicks, and proofs. I used to keep anything 59' and back, but after seeing how many there are out there I dumped them and that upped my bankroll by 50$. Keep what you want, that is just what I would do. Been hitting the nickels good lately myself and have found a lot of good stuff lately. Including my first V nickel a few days ago dated 1898. If you want a solid denomination to search, just stay away from Quarters hahaha.

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
I personally keep the 1938-1942 nickels before the silver war nickels as I'm averaging around 7-8 per box.

exnatomp

Jan 1, 2009
There are a number of Jefferson nickel mintages that are less than 10 million and they usually command a premium by collectors. I pull those when I find them which usually totals about a dozen per year, so it's not that big of an investment. If and when I do decide to sell, there is potential to make a profit of several times face value. And if they don't generate any interest, then I dump them and get my money back without a loss. My suggestion is to get the Buffalo and Jefferson nickel red book by Whitman.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
38D&S, 39D&S, 50D, 39 no MM doubled mont. &cents, 54D D over S, 55S S over D, 83P prone to DIE CLASHES and CUDS, '05 Bison P&D D speared die crack from D to rump, P drooling bison die crack, also both P&D may have large areas of outer layer peeling or missing on both sides, I have found 2 Bisons with major lamination defects. 82P&D that are full steps,83P&D full steps, all '38-'72 that are MS with full steps. off center strikes, greasers, any and all errors that are not post mint damage. spend $15 on a REDBOOK, make a cheat sheet on coins that are higher value then memorize the list. check my ebay sold listings, user name in tnet profile, I sold 5 error nics for $70- $75 in the past few months. be careful with CWR's as most people are unable to count to 40 and get a thrill out of cheating the bank out of 37 cents. hope this helps you, good luck and be sure to wash your hands

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and wash your hands, love it.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My lcs has a monthly bid-board/auction for customers to sell items of their choice. He does not charge for this and it has been serving to increase visits to his store. So I started keeping pre 60 nickels that are in decent condition. I put 5 rolls at a time on the bid-board with a minimum bid of $12 and usually someone will bid $13 or $14. I just wait until I've got enough profit and buy something silver.

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep the 38s and look for the double dyes on the 39s

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread