Difficulty with self-service counting machine

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday afternoon, my wife and I took the remaining $120 in halves to the bank. The goal was to cash them in using the free coin counter, which sits at a kiosk near the front door in the lobby. The last time I used this machine was a few weeks back, when it jammed up on me. The employee who cleared the jam explained that it can't do too many coins at once, and that I should load the hopper more gradually. I did so, and encountered no problems.

This time I wasn't as lucky. I started with just a modest handful, and pushed the start button. The coins went into the machine, and proceeded to rattle around for about ten minutes. The machine then stopped, told me it had counted $2.50, and prompted me with the choice of counting more or printing a receipt. I knew there was more of my money in there, so I pressed the start button again. The rattling sound recommenced for five more minutes. It counted two more halves, and gave me the same decision.

My wife beckoned for an employee to help us. A manager-looking man in a suit came over, opened the front of the cabinet, and sprayed the machine's moving parts with a can of compressed air. He said "It has a hard time counting larger coins." After that, we pressed the start button again, and the machine started counting normally. It got up to $37.51 before jamming again.

At this point, my wife suggested an option. What would happen if we pressed the Print button to get a receipt? It would be a gamble, since there were still uncounted halves rattling around inside. Would they be dumped in the reject tray, or would we lose them? We lost the gamble... the halves were lost to us.

I took the receipt for $37.51 (it must have picked up a stray penny) over to the teller, and set my jar of uncounted halves in front of me. "You have a very frustrating machine. It jammed on us several times," I said. The teller replied, "Hold on, I'll get someone out to help you." She cashed out my receipt, and a more technical-looking employee helped us with the machine again. He opened it up, did some things, and then said "Okay, let's test it." I carefully counted out $5.00 (10 halves), and put them in the hopper. It counted to $3.50 before jamming.

Twenty minutes and three employees later, they just took the three uncounted halves right from the sorting drum and handed them back to me. I cashed the $3.50 receipt, and decided to try a machine at a different branch. My wife is convinced the machine is missing some part that helps it sort halves easier.

I noticed some things about the machine as it was open. There's an inch of sound insulation on the inside of the cabinet, and even with that it's a loud rattler. The coins appear to be only sorted by size. The bags inside are in order by coin diameter. The floor of the machine was littered with coins of all types. Most frustrating of all, the machine has TWO reject trays, one of which stays inside the machine! It was full of halves, older coins, and foreign objects including a small light bulb. It was very frustrating to see all these random coins and not be able to get them. Confound my coin-addicted curiosity!

Has anyone else had trouble with coin counters accepting halves? Did I happen upon the one bad machine in town, or should I expect this trouble more often?

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear about the bad luck you are having with that particular coin counter.

If you can put up with trying it again, when it jams and they have to assist, offfer to buy (or ask first if they would give you) the "stuff" in the reject bucket on the inside.

The folks at my CU know me (after all these boxes of halves I've gone through they must :D ) and typically let me have the "stuff" in there. Plus, while they're replacing a bag I've filled, I'll throw away the true junk for them; while commandeering the odd'/rejected coins.

silverfinder37

Mar 24, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
looking for an Explorer
I have encountered one branch with a counting machine that is setup to net take halves, that through me for a loop. From what I have encountered with the many banks I have and do deal with is that the machines are calibrated to accept and reject different coins. Sounds like that counter/sorter needs some major calibration.
On the note of rejects ask you never know. I caught my favorite bank throwing away Canadian coins and other foreign coins, now the head teller saves them for me and I also check the trash can next to the counter as it always pays out at least one coin :) I have a list of banks with coin sorters and by it I keep track of which banks I drop off at by date and also the ones that are slower and jam often. REMEMBER DO NOT PUT WET OR COLD COINS IN COUNTER IT WILL JAM AND BREAK THE MACHINE
Hope this helps as I go through $5,000.00 to $6000.00 a week and roll the money over constantly.
Best Regards, Ray

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
I have only encountered 1 bank ever that had a counting machine for their customers that was free.
The only other 2 I found charge 3% for customers and 9% for others.
I have to roll them all but it forces me to take a closer look.
Thanks for the post - I know it took a long time to type in - it is an interesting story.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Cerulean, I'd have pointed out that the inside reject tray had my coins and wanted them back since they weren't counted. You had a bunch of halves that didn't go through and there they were. Just a thought.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Too bad there was a reject tray on the inside of the machine. I wonder how much money is taken from the public every year, caught up in those inside trays without their knowledge.

OP
OP
Cerulean

Cerulean

Dec 1, 2006
Washington, DC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used a similar machine (same manufacturer) at a different branch of that bank, and it gave me no trouble at all. I guess my struggles are with that one machine only. Struck up a chat with a mother and her two boys, who were cashing in a duffel bag worth of loose change. Her father-in-law's an old coinhound, so I was sure that load had all been searched. She did seem surprised that I was going to cash in half dollars!

Also, I had the following chat with my waiter at IHOP, where I've been tipping in halves for months now.

"Excuse me, I notice that you''re always tipping with those," he said, pointing at my halves.

"Is that a problem," I asked.

"No. I just want to know where you get them. I'd only seen one before you started leaving them."

"Oh, I get them at the bank," I responded plainly.

"You mean, you just walk in and ask for half dollars?"

"Yeah. It's that simple."

He persisted "So I could just walk down to the Wachovia down the street here and they'll sell me halves?"

"Yeah, if they've got them," I answered.

"Okay, cool. Thanks, man," he said as he left. What we do is so obviously simple once we figure out how in the first place, eh? 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread