mint set hunting

Marcel

Jul 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I've noticed that in some circumstances buying the mint set for a given year is sometimes comparable to the value of one coin in the lot. Anybody done this for a nice specimen of a given year and sold the rest on eBay? EBay is full of uc coins still in the cello but clipped out of a set. I don't fully get why some mint sets are so cheap. Can anybody explain?

Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have noticed this too, and it probably explains why there are so many single BU coins on EBay that were once part of a mint set. I don't buy many coins on eBay, but I do keep my eye out at the local pawn shops and just about a week ago came across two different mint sets, one a 1953 and one and 1958. I paid $18 each for them, which was a no-brainer just for silver value. Turns out the 1958 set is worth about $35 or so, and maybe $50 if broken up and sold separately. The 1953, however, is worth about $150 as a set and a good $200 if broken up and sold separately. Not a bad return on an $18 investment in either case. Anyway, I'm going to continue to keep an eye out for inexpensive mint sets knowing that if you get them at a good price, there really isn't too much of a risk. HH.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a second look at the 65-67 SMS sets. If you can pull a cameo or DCAM coin that's a good payday!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad Wolf, I have been to at least a dozen pawn shops and the all say they "don't sell coins". Nice finds on the mint sets at $18 a piece.

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad Wolf, I have been to at least a dozen pawn shops and the all say they "don't sell coins". Nice finds on the mint sets at $18 a piece.

Thanks, V'dub, I talked them down from $20.00. They've also got a ton of junk quarters at $5.00 each, picked up a couple AU. And since we don't have coin counters at any of the banks in my neck of the woods, I suppose that having pawn shops with coins makes up for it a bit...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread