Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had to go to the bank on other business, an as usual asked about halves. They had $18 which produced 7 40%, but since I knew that would not last me long I also asked for a box of nickels. They had 2/3 of a box, so I went ahead and took it. About 1/3 of the way thru it I found a buffalo nickel (my 4th since roll hunting). I saw it by the reverse, and it was in very nice condition, so I figured a 36 or a 37. Nope, 1916. Full date, and would easily grade VF - XF. Has full horn on back and little wear on the obverse. Will try to get pics this evening. Also found what I was mainly searching for, a single war nickel (42P). I have found 14 of these since I have actively started searching for them, and looking thru them I noticed something highly unusual. Where I am at the prevalent mint mark is D, as we are the closest to the Denver mint. Of the 14 war nickels I have found, 10 are P (Philadelphia) and the other 4 are S (San Francisco). Not one Denver. Thought that was strange. Keep searching, there are still some good stuff to find out there other than silver.

Upvote 0

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the buffalo and the silver Wayne. It's pretty routine to find fewer D-mint war nickels since they have the lowest mintages in the series. Of the 344 war nicks I've found only 38 were from the Denver mint, so what is that, about 11%? Keep hitting it though, you'll find one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread