Found in my own dump

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumping 6 boxes of halves this morning, I forgot that there were one box worth of dimes in my dump bags too. Thought the dimes had been a skunk, but it turns out I was careless in looking at them. Teller brought this back to me from the coin machine.

Pics are faded, but it's a 1919 Canadian dime. My oldest foreign silver, and oldest Canadian anything.

Nice save, teller-man!

Attachments

• image-257902113.jpg
    image-257902113.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 136
  • image-2654375213.jpg
    image-2654375213.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 0

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy, you. That's a cool coin.
I'm sure it was a tricky edge on that old silver though. Smooth, thin, dark, maybe even slightly brownish?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
throw that puppy in dime roll - how do you assess the edge on a second look?

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had to head out of town so I didn't spend too much time looking at the coin. But my initial reaction was that it wasn't particularly tricky looking - I just must have missed it.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool find. But Im wondering how to know for sure if it actually may have been a dime you missed in with your dump coins or maybe a reject from someone else's dump. Might be hard to know for sure - esp since the teller was the one who was running the machine. Just last week I got a slightly damaged quarter in the reject tray while I was dumping about $1400 in the coin counter and I know all my coins were all halves.

Actually I think the total was $1415.15. I noticed the 15 cents in the count as the machine first started so there was a dime and a nickel in the machine before I started. And the quarter came through the reject chute towards the end of me using the machine which was unusual for me to get a reject coin out of the machine while I was using it that I know for sure wasn't mine.

Regardless of where it came from though - its still a very cool find. Congrats!

OP
OP
J

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought maybe it was someone else's too - but he told me that when the machine jammed, he happened to glance down at the coins in the hopper and it was just laying right there on top. So it was mine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions