CRH blunder

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left two boxes of halves in my truck overnight and I thought it was locked. Someone swiped them both. $1000 gone! When I got home last night after my pickup, I was feeling ill and thought that I'll just get the boxes out tomorrow. Now I feel really ill. It looks like my doors were unlocked. I filed a police report. I am going to call insurance tomorrow but don't have a lot of hope.

I feel like an idiot. I live in a small town with very little crime, but I guess there is enough. It's possible that a neighbor or one of his buddies eyed me carrying those boxes in the house from the past. I try to be inconspicuous, but it's tough and I'm doing it week in and week out. I guess covering the boxes somehow would be a good idea for the future if there is a future. That kills my bankroll. So, now I have to start from scratch.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typically, those $1000+ lessons are learned and learned well. Hang in there.

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That really sucks. I hope you find out who did it but it's going to be hard. The only thing I can think of is try to call local banks and tell them to be on the look out for anyone cashing in a 1000$ in halves. Maybe just make a note of the persons name and let the police know. This way if it comes up as someone close to your home like a neighbor the police can talk to them cause that would be very fishy.

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That really sucks. I hope you find out who did it but it's going to be hard. The only thing I can think of is try to call local banks and tell them to be on the look out for anyone cashing in a 1000$ in halves. Maybe just make a note of the persons name and let the police know. This way if it comes up as someone close to your home like a neighbor the police can talk to them cause that would be very fishy.
Or tell the police to do so.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry to hear the bad news. I try to be inconspicuous when I carry my boxes in from the car too. I usually try and cover them in plastic shopping bags or something so its not quite so obvious. Whether or not the thief/thieves knew before, they sure know now so you might want to be very careful about home security from now on.

Its probably gonna be hard to recover you losses on this one but I wish you the best and be very careful in case the thief/thieves try and come back for more.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is terrible, hope it gets worked out!

HH

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure hope he gets skunked, and then caught.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a terrible thing... I try to make it as low key as possible when both loading up and unloading coins to and from my house or bank. It is most likely one of your neighbors or neighbor's friends as you said, good luck trying to get them back.
Talk to the local banks in the area and see if anybody had turned in $1,000 in halves, maybe they took the ID number or account number of the person who cashed them in... just a thought. It cant hurt to ask.

missedshed

Sep 17, 2012
pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bet they return and check again. Criminals are dumb and with a big theft out of a car I say try to get ahold of a security camera or a good go pro if there is lighting around. Set them up with an empty box, I'm sure it wasn't the first time they visited either. We have a daily break in around here during the day at one local park, they still haven't caught them but it's always the same, hit one car at one park then they hit the next park down the road almost every few days. They got a lot, they will return bc of the criminal mind that they got so much. Hope you get them!!!

ERobertson

Dec 9, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM V

GARRETT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible.

At least you were not injured. The coins can be replaced.

It is only money..........

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with your home owners or renters insurance too. Your car insurance won't cover a thing. If you have a lower deductible or if there is coverage for cash on hand you may have some hope.

OP
OP
Zero

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely a bit concerned about them coming back for more.

I'll check my homeowners insurance...maybe I have some coverage.

I thought about talking to the banks since there are only two CRH's in town including myself. Doesn't seem like I do much about it if I find out but I guess it could give me a heads-up if it is my neighbor.

I keep thinking...maybe I never picked up those boxes...but I definitely did. $1000 could buy a lot of silver.

I'll get back on the horse again.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry you had $1000 stolen out of your parked overnight, unlocked vehicle. There is little worse than a low-life thief. However, I personally don't like the "talking to the banks" part of your plan. What can this possibly accomplish? First off you might make a suspect out of, or at least get an honest CRHer or just coin hoarder hassled and questioned. We all hate when we are treated as suspected criminals, and I suspect you wouldn't like it either. Second, even if your neighbor walks into the bank with $1000 in halves, prove they're your halves. You cannot. You might know they are, but you can never prove they are. You can accomplish nothing by this.

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
What if the person/persons who took the halves came back and left a note saying both boxes were dream boxes, that would be a real kick in the sac!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry you had $1000 stolen out of your parked overnight, unlocked vehicle. There is little worse than a low-life thief. However, I personally don't like the "talking to the banks" part of your plan. What can this possibly accomplish? First off you might make a suspect out of, or at least get an honest CRHer or just coin hoarder hassled and questioned. We all hate when we are treated as suspected criminals, and I suspect you wouldn't like it either. Second, even if your neighbor walks into the bank with $1000 in halves, prove they're your halves. You cannot. You might know they are, but you can never prove they are. You can accomplish nothing by this.

If three crack heads come in with two fresh boxes of halves, I would want my friends at the bank to know what happened. Also, the boxes could have had a serial number on them.

dreamboxvip

May 1, 2014
I actually almost lost $1,200 a couple years ago. I dumped that much at my dump bank(in a not so good part of town) and was so tired that i left all $1,200 sit in the teller window, left and drove 20 minutes away to my pickup bank, realized i pulled a boner and left it... frantically called the bank and by miracle the manager just happen to be walking by after i left and turned it in to a teller! Talk about a heartattack! Will never forget that day. Could of been an easy 1,200 bonus for someone. A month after that, they cut me off from dumping anymore lol.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. I'm definitely a bit concerned about them coming back for more.

I thought about talking to the banks since there are only two CRH's in town including myself. Doesn't seem like I do much about it if I find out but I guess it could give me a heads-up if it is my neighbor.
I would definitely put the word out at my local banks. I would also visit the banks in the next closest town, just in case they really aren't that dumb. Unless of course the nearest town is Louisville, Lexington or Frankfort, then it would be a little hard to do. Video surveillance cameras are a great idea if you can afford it. I'm betting it was a neighbor or his kid, since they have the best view of your comings and goings on a daily basis. I'm guessing there wasn't a rash of car break ins, just yours right? That tells you it was someone close, more than likely.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left two boxes of halves in my truck overnight and I thought it was locked. Someone swiped them both. $1000 gone! When I got home last night after my pickup, I was feeling ill and thought that I'll just get the boxes out tomorrow. Now I feel really ill. It looks like my doors were unlocked. I filed a police report. I am going to call insurance tomorrow but don't have a lot of hope.

I feel like an idiot. I live in a small town with very little crime, but I guess there is enough. It's possible that a neighbor or one of his buddies eyed me carrying those boxes in the house from the past. I try to be inconspicuous, but it's tough and I'm doing it week in and week out. I guess covering the boxes somehow would be a good idea for the future if there is a future. That kills my bankroll. So, now I have to start from scratch.

Sorry to hear it. The bright side is it was only money. You can (and will) earn more. Having yourself or a loved one physically injured would be a much worse problem.

Your story reminded me how careful I was when I had $6K in halves in the trunk of my rental car while on vacation out of my home state...I was obviously paranoid someone would break into the car, find the coins, and steal them. Then I thought about the fact the coins weighed ~324 lb, so this would slow them down a bit, AND the coins would be noisy (they were in coin-lok bags), so maybe I could catch them in the act...Thankfully, I did not have any problems.

This is yet another reason why CRH-ing may not be worthwile...One big loss erases alot of hard-earned gains!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread