Look in Numiismatic news

acute collector

Mar 26, 2007
wisconsin
I was looking through a recent copy of the Numi News classified and I saw an ad. It said a guy was selling copper (95%) cents. It says to make an offer on 50 Lbs by mail. Interestin ....
What do you guys think he is going to sell a bag for? What would you pay for them? What is a Roll of copper going for? When is the ban on melting and exporting going to expire?

Any body?
Thanks

Upvote 0

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
50 lbs of copper? $175 maybe? What about the price of shipping? Aye, there's the rub! In theory, a roll of pre-82 pennies has a copper value of a little over one dollar. But if one factors in all the costs associated with refining/smelting, legality, etc. Is it worth it? I don't know. I have a feeling the all the copper freaks out there are onto something, but it will be much, MUCH longer than they think before it will have been worth their while to save all those pre-82's. I think the price of copper is more volatile than people realize, but in the long long long run, it'll be worth quite a bit. And don't forget about those nickels! When they reach 10 cents per nickel, the newsmedia will be all over that story. Nickels and pennies will probably very soon be worth double their face value. Insane. What's nickel going for now? A dollar an ounce? Now that's insane---a dollar an once for nickel (or something like that). Do we have a contender for a new precious metal? Semi-precious? Of course, U.S. nickels are only fractionally nickel, whereas old Canadian nickels are nothing but nickel. I can't remember all these numbers! ahh!! go check out www.coinflation.com. It totally rox my sox! As for the melting ban, your guess is as good as mine. What the gov't---in this case, the Mint---wants to do, ought to do, and actually does, are all three very very different things. Personally, I'm hoping for a return of the half penny. Shoot, while they're at it, they could finally start minting a "mill" coin, which is equal to 1/1000 of a dollar. You know those fractions of a penny you see used in gas prices? that's a mill. The Mint never minted them even though they were ok'd in the Coinage Act of A Really Long Time Ago. Okay, I'm getting a little off topic, I know. I'd go ramble on about the history of coins to the people in the regular coin forum, but they're just not as fun. Happy Hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread