having a hard time dumping

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
A few months ago I went up from just asking for CWR and teller try halves to ordering boxes. I have opened accounts at 3 banks and have my cu that I have done my banking with for 20 years. One bank I order 2 boxes a week from. The other two banks have 5 branches fairly close that I figured to dump at. My cu will only take $100.00 coins a day and .05 a roll after that im trying not to pay to dump. There are no banks with coin machines anywhere around.
After only 2 months my dump banks are starting to complain. I have not taken any bank more than a box every other week. Last week one bank said that they were probably going to start charging me. Another bank today sent the manager to talk to me ( only the second box this month ) she started questioning me about how often I plan to bring coins in ( all re rolled in a box ) she wanted to know where I was getting all these half dollars and what I was doing with them. Then she told me that they were going to have to start charging a fee.
Not sure what to do. I have been getting some good boxes but I may run out of places to dump them.

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
say this to anyone who is not a roller, and they'll look at you like your a madman and suggest laxative.

I agree with you though, it's getting harder to dump. The best thing to do is to call up other banks and find some will'n to let you dump more. That simple, just switch.

YOu got to be frank with your CU, Ben Franklin frank, I mean you got to go in there, look um in the eye, and say, "Listen, I'm a valued customer. I have used (INSERT LOCAL COMPETITION BANK HERE) and they never charge me a fee or deposit limit. I also am a small business owner and on days have more than this amount of change. Can I speak with the manager? After this, they usually get a higher-up. Then say "I want to be able to deposit coins, it's my money, I am an account holder, (explain aforementioned reasons to). Either you do this.... or I close my account I gar--un--tee that they will NEVER mess with you again.

Also, if you want to scare the dickens out of them, tell them you know an FDIC examiner, and you will tell them that you were denied. Usually credit unions are worried that an examiner will come in, as they have a limited amount of holdings they keep on hand. If this is the case, and if it is the case that you were denied, big trouble. Firings and such. This is my option of last resort, very extreme.

UNIVBFan

Apr 2, 2013
Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
say this to anyone who is not a roller, and they'll look at you like your a madman and suggest laxative.

I agree with you though, it's getting harder to dump. The best thing to do is to call up other banks and find some will'n to let you dump more. That simple, just switch.

YOu got to be frank with your CU, Ben Franklin frank, I mean you got to go in there, look um in the eye, and say, "Listen, I'm a valued customer. I have used (INSERT LOCAL COMPETITION BANK HERE) and they never charge me a fee or deposit limit. I also am a small business owner and on days have more than this amount of change. Can I speak with the manager? After this, they usually get a higher-up. Then say "I want to be able to deposit coins, it's my money, I am an account holder, (explain aforementioned reasons to). Either you do this.... or I close my account I gar--un--tee that they will NEVER mess with you again.

Also, if you want to scare the dickens out of them, tell them you know an FDIC examiner, and you will tell them that you were denied. Usually credit unions are worried that an examiner will come in, as they have a limited amount of holdings they keep on hand. If this is the case, and if it is the case that you were denied, big trouble. Firings and such. This is my option of last resort, very extreme.

Not to nit pick, but if you told your credit union you know an FDIC examiner, they should just laugh at you, since the FDIC doesn't examine them. Also, an examiner in most cases couldn't care less if they chose to no allow you to dump. They would investigate the complaint, but as soon as the credit union tells them it's because of the cost, they'll probably be told they need to have a policy on it, and that would be it. Firings aren't even a remote possibility. I should know as I am an examiner. Sorry if you were being sarcastic on that last one, didn't come off as such to me.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what to do. I have been getting some good boxes but I may run out of places to dump them.

Do not forget you can spend half dollars on everyday items such as gasoline and groceries. Heck, if one of your banks holds the mortgage on your house you could make one sizeable dump each month by paying your mortgage in-person with half dollars. Using this approach, if the bank manager attempts to charge a coin deposit fee, you could remind them you are paying the bank alot of mortgage interest each month, and therefore they should not charge you a fee for making the payment.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have 3-4 options i see
1 find different dump banks
2 stop crh all together
3 lower the amount you crh
4 try to talk to a.manager like 50 said

Those be your options-
Good luck

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I too try to spread the dumping of my boxes around to various branches of the same bank. If I have to drive to another town, so be it, they all have taken the boxes, I just don't try to overload one branch. So far for 6 years it has worked. I get between 2 and 6 boxes a week, depending on how the banks order them and what comes in.

OP
OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
You have 3-4 options i see
1 find different dump banks
2 stop crh all together
3 lower the amount you crh
4 try to talk to a.manager like 50 said

Those be your options-
Good luck

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

I don't want to stop crh I have been getting great boxes ( see new thread ).

I would like to get more boxes a week not less.

I will look for other banks to open accounts and use as dump banks.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a 5 c a roll fee isn't going to kill you, if it kept me in the game, I would probably pay it... its $2.50 a box and you don't do a tremendous volume, and you have fun doing it. I would stick with that option until you straighten things out or find a new dump bank :)

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a 5 c a roll fee isn't going to kill you, if it kept me in the game, I would probably pay it... its $2.50 a box and you don't do a tremendous volume, and you have fun doing it. I would stick with that option until you straighten things out or find a new dump bank :)

That is actually not a bad idea, especially if you also metal detect. You could pay the fees with your (uncleaned) coin finds. That way you would not technically be out any of your own money.:thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread