Well it finnaly happened......

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
The bank that has been the biggest pain in the rear finnaly told me they were going to start to charge me to count after this time....... this is only after about $6000 worth in halves....... yup... not 60 thousand.... 6. I just kinda laughed. the manager put the tellers up to it. You could tell that she was really uncomfortable about it. I guess I kinda got a little satisfaction out of it. Their coin counter broke when my stuff was getting counted. I asked... "so do I still get a free counting then since you couldnt count all of them this time?" She did say yes....so they gave me the 50 bucks of what they did count. When I took the rest of the coins into another branch of the same bank when I added them together I ended up $10 bucks ahead!!! Once again I had to laugh.... They got their just deserts in my eyes. So clearly I have a lame duck here......I was thinking of what I could say to them.......

1. You want to charge me 10% up to $12 the same as a non customer.....What are you saying? You dont want my buisness?
2. $12 max huh? Well I guess I will just have to bring it in $5000 at a time rather then this little $500 stuff......
3. SO what you are saying is I should get someone else to bring them in for me??? My grandmother does alot of buisness here..... do you really want to make an 80 year old woman lug those bags in here?
4. Tell them I am furious and they are chasing dimes and losing dollars because I am going to bank elsewhere.

I can think of a million things to say.....just not sure I will bother.

Upvote 0

Pennyworth

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2006
First of all unless it's stated in the information the bank gave you when you opened your account or if it's not printed or made public that customers are to be charged for using the coin counter the teller or bank manager shouldn't be doing that. My suggestion is to look in the telephone book and call the district manager and tell them what they are doing. Most likely they will talk to the bank manager and tell them they have to accept your coin counter returns since you are a customer.

You should find out if there are any limitations on using the coin counter, but only ask the district manager. Of course be polite when speaking them him/her and if he/she does not support you using the coin counter with no charge then tell them that you will be closing your account(s).

If the other branches of this bank do not have a problem with you returning halves using the coin counter why should they.

jtsosfl

Mar 27, 2007
I would definitely be making and appointment to be speaking to someone. If your a customer and you have terms of use that are set for all. I would be asking why I am being treated differently. IMHO of course. Now find some silver.

snappy

Jan 23, 2007
sidney montana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I have had this problem before. So now when I take in a large amount of coins I deposit everything. (goes into checking account easy access) I have not had problem. One dump bank I use, only when roads are bad or I have extra cash, does not have a coin counter at all. They are closer the normal dump banks are long ways away. They must roll them, a machine counts out a roll and they put it in a roller then use a shotgun style roller. I felt bad when I took in $2800 in halves and $1600 in dimes. And then I waited several hours as the old lady (very nice) rolled the half's gave me the money. I did not want to wait for the dimes so I said "deposit the rest". Now when I change coins there I just have them deposit the entire amount. This spring as the flowers come up I will pick a large bunch and take them into the bank and give it to them.

I have only had a problem with one credit union in all my time doing this (late 70's early 80's) and now I went in to check for halves and asked for $10 in dimes, the prelude to asking for halves it allows me to talk to them show them I am nice and respectful then ask if they have any half dollars. Then she said "do you have an account here" I responded no but my wife does she said then I cannot help you. the next day I went in with my wife and closed the account (she had just over 15K) she called over the manager to try to talk her out of closing the account I told him our reasons and when he realized he could not stop us from closing it he asked how I wanted the cash I told him half dollars! He looked and said they have none. I then said cash I think we took every bill in the place Walked across the street and put it in the other bank. I can only hope the PMSing woman got a good talking to. All that over $10 in dimes.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just bring a couple boxes of pennies say $150 that way you will only get charged 1.50 and they have more coins to count ;)

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
snappy said:
I have only had a problem with one credit union in all my time doing this (late 70's early 80's) and now I went in to check for halves and asked for $10 in dimes, the prelude to asking for halves it allows me to talk to them show them I am nice and respectful then ask if they have any half dollars. Then she said "do you have an account here" I responded no but my wife does she said then I cannot help you. the next day I went in with my wife and closed the account (she had just over 15K) she called over the manager to try to talk her out of closing the account I told him our reasons and when he realized he could not stop us from closing it he asked how I wanted the cash I told him half dollars! He looked and said they have none. I then said cash I think we took every bill in the place Walked across the street and put it in the other bank. I can only hope the PMSing woman got a good talking to. All that over $10 in dimes.

That is funny. Maybe the woman was not trained properly, or she is simply stupid. Anyway, my name is on all my wifes accounts, so I would not run into that problem. When asked if an account I always say yes, reguardless if I do or not. I have a friend that gets coins from about 5 banks. There is one bank about a half block from his house. It is in those boxes that he gets most his silver finds from.
Anyway, he was getting 4 boxes the first week. They immediately said one box a month and now they told him none. Personally I don't think it costs them a thing. And if it does they get it back on the other crazy charges they put on peoples accounts or using the atm. Its criminal. Im hoping Walmart gets full commercial business banking rights. That will change the tune of alot of those stupid banking people. I must add that most my banking experiences are good ones.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Well i went to the other branch.... They counted half of my coins and gave me a bag back. Called the branch... talked to the manager... she said I would have to talk to her boss. (I thought the manager was the boss) Told them most of the stuff you read here...... I said it was BS that they just told me no and not to tone it down a bit and how they were rude and such. Threatened to contact the better buisness bureau. Then I said how it says no charge for personal coin counting but she came back with personal people dont go though that much coin. I said I know im not the only one who does it. She said that they had to send back 18 bags last week to the fed. I told her then that I havent been in that bank for 2 weeks. She said they were just sitting there in the vault. (I think BS again) Then I busted her out and told her that I know that they arent selling all of my coins back to the fed anyway because someone is buying the bags from them and dumping them at another bank I go to. She said.... "how do you know that!?"

they are just 2 branches of the bank.... Apparently they are talking to eachother. I got 6 more branches of the same bank around me...... no one has said a thing there yet one I have dropped a ton at.

These people are really pissing me off.....the only one I didnt say is about my grandma. But I think I may have my brother in law open an account.

ohh.... Then I went to another branch of theirs and got my coins counted. was 499.50......Bastards..... Im in a bad mood now.

Anyone else have to bring out the big guns? Experience at this?

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
no comments?? does everyone else never have this problem??? am I the only one? I know Brian said he had problems at a bank and got banned.........

BTW... the lady asked what I thought would be acceptable for them to accept in a week. I told her $2000 ;D I don't think she agreed.

whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigtime400 said:
no comments?? does everyone else never have this problem??? am I the only one? I know Brian said he had problems at a bank and got banned.........

BTW... the lady asked what I thought would be acceptable for them to accept in a week. I told her $2000 ;D I don't think she agreed.
i never had a problem. maybe thats because i just started. i only cashed in like 6 boxes.

OP
OP
bigtime400

bigtime400

Jan 27, 2007
the moon
Well they were all fine with it at first when I started CRH as well. So I took most of my coins to 2 branches of the same bank. One didnt say anything till after a ton... which is good.... but one said something after like $6000 in 4 months........that kinda bothers me. But there are 6 other branches of this bank..... none of them have said anything. One of the 6 I have sent back quite a bit.

I guess I am going to have to close up there........ I dont know if the manager will spread the word around or not. I still have like 4 other banks I could go to.

luckyduckie

Greenie
Apr 13, 2005
do you have a commerce bank near you? they have a coin counting machine in their banks and don't charge anything for coin counting. you don't even have to be a customer. you just need to keep a close watch on the thing as it sometimes coins don't register due to being stuck in the mechanism.

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Snappy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you know why they call it PMS ?

Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken!!!!!!!

Cheers, Jim

my sincere apologies to anyone of you who might have been offended.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Hey Snappy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

coolpix9 said:
Do you know why they call it PMS ?

Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken!!!!!!!

Cheers, Jim

my sincere apologies to anyone of you who might have been offended.

No I was not offended, but I did hurt my back. >:(

Rollin on the floor laughin my bum off. :D :D :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions