November totals plus US mint dumping 2014s into circulation

StoneFree

Oct 18, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
November totals plus US mint dumping 2014's into circulation

First 12 boxes of the month produced 8 40% and 3 90%, next 8 boxes were skunks, next 8 boxes produced 55 40% 8 64'kennedys, and 3 Bens!(my personal best boxes) next 8 boxes were skunks, next 8 produced 4 40%. A ton of skunks for the month but that 1 streak made up for most of it. Got 6 boxes for tonight and 6 more at the bank to pick up tomorrow. BTW I have noticed that the Government has dumped a massive amount of 2014 Kennedys into circulation. As a matter of fact my 8 boxes that produced contained over 400 2014 Kennedy's. Theres only one explanation I can think of for that, and that is the US mint dumping excess unsold 2014's. Most of the 2014's showed bag marks and other slight imperfections but I found several rolls worth of MS kennedys. Anybody else find alot of 2014's in this past month?

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Don't blame the mint when there is a more realistic explanation. More likely, you have a dealer in your area. They dump the coins that wouldn't muster a 69 or 70 grade. They are not worth the cost to hold in inventory. A few 69's pay for the premium the mint charges on the bag. If they are lucky, they get a few that garner a 70 grade and push their profit. Simple.

Your theory is based on the concept that the Mint would ignore the large premium charged to the public, and instead sell them to the Fed at face value. If they had gone off sale (next year), then your theory might have merit. But the bags and rolls are still for sale.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe this was the case with Maverick's boxes that were essentially solid proofs.
Don't blame the mint when there is a more realistic explanation. More likely, you have a dealer in your area. They dump the coins that wouldn't muster a 69 or 70 grade. They are not worth the cost to hold in inventory. A few 69's pay for the premium the mint charges on the bag. If they are lucky, they get a few that garner a 70 grade and push their profit. Simple.

Your theory is based on the concept that the Mint would ignore the large premium charged to the public, and instead sell them to the Fed at face value. If they had gone off sale (next year), then your theory might have merit. But the bags and rolls are still for sale.

TheWalrus

Oct 7, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talking to the guy at the local coin store, he has also personally dumped anything he did not think would muster the 69+ grade into the bags he sells or turns in to the bank. But then again they offer bulk coin service to the public at a discount 2% charge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions