Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to CRH and to coin collecting for the most part. I heard that CRH is one of the best ways and more exciting ways to find nice coins for your collection. My question for everyone, do you you see a certain bank that has the best coins or is it random?

It's different in every location. You may notice you are finding more silver at a loomis supplied bank vs a brinks supplied bank but the reality of it is it's all about luck. No bank is better than the next. All that matters is you have a little luck and good timing and you may just hit some silver or collectible coins someone dumped. Beware you will go threw tons of coins without finding a single coin worth anything so if you are into CRFinding and not CRHunting don't bother. HH

OP
OP
S

shane7781

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no i love the search... its a high for me! I dont intend to find anything.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just matter of luck and timing. For me personally Brinks better than others but this is just me.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like banks that will sell you customer returned coins, whether in rolls or bags off of the counting machines.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Psst, the best banks are the little branches in grocery stores. They don't give a whole lot of coin, but pound for pound, they are the best.

HH
-GC

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best boxes came from BofA (88 & 42 silvers).
My best CWRs came from Chase (3 solid rolls of 90s - mixed Walkers/Bens/Kens + 1 Barber).
I like Chase & USBank because they will sell me rolls w/out harassing me about an account.
Wells Fargo seems to be the worst in my area cuz they won't sell me CWRs or order boxes (of course, I don't have an account there - go figure).
Like the others said, it varies in every town and the luck factor really is key: gotta be at the right place @ right time and you really can find something amazing.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
any bank that will sell rolls or boxes, with or without an account is a great bank. fly low, be willing to take "whatever they can spare", ask if they have any unusual coins in the tray, be pleasant, show them your special finds, and do not crap where you feed. all my area banks use Loomis and the main distribution center is Schenectady, NY, so the pool of supply should be the entire Hudson River Valley of eastern NY state. do not back a Hummer up to the front door and ask for 20 boxes of Halfs 3 times a week or you will kill this hobby for the rest of us. I churn $1K of Q,D,N &P a week using 4 banks, then spread the dumps using my CU's 3 branches with no fee machines. remember banks carry coins for their business accounts who pay for each roll so you are just a fly they can swat at any time, so avoid branch managers and stick with the cool tellers. I gave one teller a "V" nic, a Buff, and a War nic, all in 2x2's just to keep the pump primed.

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Show them your special finds"??? If you do that then it is over and the tellers will keep the coins. Do not educate tellers. It is my opinion.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Keep pennies as a back-up for when things start getting dull & mundane. Can always find something in pennies, even if its only 5 wheaties& 10% copper per box. Also might get a current "Red Book", so you know what to look for, and avoid throwing away something of value.

OP
OP
S

shane7781

Tenderfoot
Jan 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great advice. I will keep it in mind when i go for my first box of something this week! I will post if I get something!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread