Copper vs zinc ratios 82

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Copper vs zinc ratios '82

Was going through my copper hoard (secondary sort) on the 1982's: copper vs zinc, lg & small dates; 7-varieties.
Been running about a 5-to-1 copper in the lead vs zinc. Is anyone else seeing the same ratio?
When I do my searching on cents, I go through three stages of sorting when getting a box or bag:(not all at the same sitting but probably weeks apart).
#1 SORT - is a major sort by year groups: wheaties by themselves, (coppers - keeping only the better ones & stacking rejects)59-64, 65-70, 71-75, 76-81, 82(by themselves only becuz of the copper/zinc 7-var), then pulling the better of the zincs (dump to bank the rejects)as : 83-89, 90-99, 00-08, 2009's (by themselves for further sorting of the four var), 2010-14.
#2. SORT - is sorting by individual years within each of the major groups(keeping the better looking ones, stacking the lesser looking coppers & dumping to bank more reject zincs).
#3. SORT - is looking within each individual year and keeping only the Best Of The Best, to be used for my 12-grandkids folders or makeup of full rolls of P D or S., stack more reject coppers or dump more zincs.
Ya, it sounds like a lot of work just for pennies, BUT being retired at age 68(going on 69) with a lot of time on my hands especially in winter, I enjoy this hobby. After all, it's not costing me anything except Face Value that can be converted back to cash. I don't smoke or drink, so this might be the only vice I have.
BESIDES, I still CRH silver dimes and stack as much as possible, as a small time investment later when AG goes up & up. HH

Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twelve grandkids...........?!?!? Wow, I thought putting together folders for our 5 was a challenge.............
Yeah, I'm seeing about the same ratio........and about 25 to 1 on "D"s..................
Also getting about 10 wheats for every $25.00 and 1 foreign (not always Canadian) coin............
My last batch yielded a 2004 clashed strike on the obverse and a double strike on the reverse...........tried to take a picture last night to post, but my cheap phone won't take a decent snap..................
BTW, where the heck are all the 2009"s..............??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Chizzy: I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one to notice the drop in the (4-var.) 2009'cents. I'm glad to pick up at least a box each (new BU's) of the four (P or D) while full rolls were avail back in 2009. I'm saving everyone I get, to sort out years from now. I also do the 2009 dimes, the same way (don't do nickels however).

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Dozer..........the 2009's have been my albatross in completing the sets for the kids........after sifting through $100 of pennies the past 3-4 weeks, I've only found 25. I've actually found more wheats (a bonus for the time spent). And, of the 2009's, I'm a Variety 4 "D" short of one complete set..................
I'll begin to save the 2009 dimes on your advice...........thanks...........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions