Trying to Start

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, I finally decided that CRH is for me. Reading the dos and don'ts made me call around to start bank accounts to order the coins from as my regular bank accepts coins in a free counting machine. Wouldn't you know it, I called 4 different banks and none are willing to allow me to purchase boxes of half dollars (or any other denomination. I finally found a little bank that will allow it and I joined this afternoon. After signing up and making the minimum deposit I asked if they have any half dollars and they produced only 1 roll (I got skunked on it too). I tried to order a box, but they only do their ordering on Fridays and it takes a week to get here. That is 2 weeks before I can really try anything. UUUGGGHHH.

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ask for a box of dimes, you have better chance of finding something. Plus it can keep you busy till the prize comes in. I just asked boa to order a box of halves for me, they said it will be in Friday. However I don't have school on Friday and I can't pick it up till Monday. Onforgotnto mention, I don't have a checking or savings account with tthem. It's best to go into a branch and ask directly. It is muh easier for someone to say no or I can't over the phone...

Last edited:

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you got your feet wet. You will be a champion swimmer before its over.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ordering a week ahead of time is the norm. Glad you found a bank willing to order for you!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad you found a bank willing to order. I would advise finding a backup dump bank or two. You can't have too many, plus you never know what will happen once you start showing up regularly with halves to dump.

I remember trying to get set up to order boxes. Seemed like it took forever, and all the while people were posting their awesome finds on here.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It also doesn't hurt to try those branches on a different day in person. The staff don't always say yes or no to the same thing.

Go in, act like you need coins (I'd skip halves and try something more common to build a relationship) and it's second nature to request coins will get you farther than calling around.

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the encouragement. I'll take on board all the great advice. See you with silver next time...Brad

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Retire05, try this. Go to each bank that is on the way home or etc. Personally go in, and ask if they have any loose half dollars. Any banks that ask if you have an account with them, avoid those in the future. Keep going for every week or twice a week, for a full month. Then one day, when you go asking for halves, if they dont have any, just throw in the question "Can you order a box for me?".

I did that today at a bank of america by my college, and the teller was super nice about it. She said something about what day is today, when is our next order. Oh it will be in by friday afternoon. A box is 500$ are, you going to pick up the whole box? somewhere in between all that I wrote down my Name and phone #. I even told her i cant pick it up till next monday, is that ok? she said Yea its fine. I walked out of there like a champ. I dont even have a checking or savings account with BOA, besides a credit Card, that i use once in awhile...

OP
OP
R

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Liu21 - thanks for the advice. I will try. I'm not out anything but time. Cheers...Brad

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions