I think im going to become a teller...

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I've been in aviation for about 9 years, and im ready to move on, I am goin to start using my GI Bill this summer and start school, but Il take a serious hit in pay if I leave my job and just go to school, staying here part time, well, would suck, wayyy to much drama for a bunch of adults, so I started looking at part time job..

thought about maybe just working at the gas station near me part time, something like that because the gi bill does pay me, so I just need something to supplement the difference. well then I was at the bank for a pickup and like always, usually beat the teller to the correct amount (im good at math) and thought, well d***, why don't I do this? normal hours for once would be great! and not to mention the added perks of being a CRHer at a bank!!!

anyway, just a thought and hopefully I can make this play out.. just not looking forward to starting to shave again!

Upvote 0

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
You should go for it. I applied at a TD in our area but have yet to hear from them. Would love to see your "on the clock" scores. And maybe I'd finally have someone to order me a box of halves onece you've been there a while. I'm going to go around town once I get this job at _____ soon and mention I need a bank that does direct deposit and will order boxed coin for members.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should go for it. I applied at a TD in our area but have yet to hear from them. Would love to see your "on the clock" scores. And maybe I'd finally have someone to order me a box of halves onece you've been there a while. I'm going to go around town once I get this job at _____ soon and mention I need a bank that does direct deposit and will order boxed coin for members.

im sure the boxes are a possibility but I can promise you find a silver halve in any CWR brought into my place! and I think il try to work at a bank with a counter.. those things get all kinds of crazy stuff thrown in them

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Will you be dump bank friendly?

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will you be dump bank friendly?

I don't see why not, I would probably keep my hobby as low key as possible with my co-workers, so that dumps from other crher is blamed on me...

but just let me know if your a hunter so I don't go thru it lol

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
but just let me know if your a hunter so I don't go thru it lol

Maybe I'm one of them idiots who don't know what the heck he's looking at- you should probably check my work... you could probably become a very wealthy individual!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I'm one of them idiots who don't know what the heck he's looking at- you should probably check my work... you could probably become a very wealthy individual!

or maybe il become one of those tellers (you know the ones) that are bitter towards crhers and always tell them they wont find any silver at they're bank! and tell folks that I don't have any halve dollars even tho they are clearly in my tray!

no, I hope I don't become that, nor will I want to be checking peoples dumps, but we all know I probably will be lol, just in case.

I do promise to keep "my coins" out of plain sight, no white rims in my tray that you will just onl

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a good idea, might as well go for it, being a teller would be better than working at a gas station.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
It appears to be a thank-less job to me. The majority of banks near me are short handed and customers really let them have it for the wait in line that is sometimes 20 people deep. Most of the tellers don't seem to have time for coin hunting, they are working too much...but good luck to you and hope you find a lot of keepers.

PaDirtDigger

Feb 2, 2015
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's XLT (2), Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive debated the same thing actually... But i see too many people i dont want to see there already... And all the banks i have been to already have 'senior' tellers who save all that, so id be last on the totem pole for a long long time!!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive debated the same thing actually... But i see too many people i dont want to see there already... And all the banks i have been to already have 'senior' tellers who save all that, so id be last on the totem pole for a long long time!!

that's a good point... maybe il shall hunt the area good and get a feel for what place would be more beneficial to me in the crhing department

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
So I've been in aviation for about 9 years, and im ready to move on, I am goin to start using my GI Bill this summer and start school, but Il take a serious hit in pay if I leave my job and just go to school, staying here part time, well, would suck, wayyy to much drama for a bunch of adults, so I started looking at part time job..

thought about maybe just working at the gas station near me part time, something like that because the gi bill does pay me, so I just need something to supplement the difference. well then I was at the bank for a pickup and like always, usually beat the teller to the correct amount (im good at math) and thought, well d***, why don't I do this? normal hours for once would be great! and not to mention the added perks of being a CRHer at a bank!!!

anyway, just a thought and hopefully I can make this play out.. just not looking forward to starting to shave again!

In what capacity are you "in Aviation?"

I mean, being a bank teller is not as glamorous as it is cut out to be.......
Its actually a lot of responsibility for very low relative pay

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In what capacity are you "in Aviation?"

I mean, being a bank teller is not as glamorous as it is cut out to be.......
Its actually a lot of responsibility for very low relative pay

I was a fueler in the army, in a aviation unit, I fueled helicopter in the 82nd for 7 years, and ive been in charge of fuel at a small GA airport for the last 2 years sense I left the army, I am by no means in a glamorous job to begin with, im looking for a new path, hence starting school, and because school will make up about half of what I currently make I can get by with a low paying part time job.. of course staying where I currently make more money while I go to school would probably make more money, the place is going down hill, and just a miserable place to work, unfortunately in my area my job skills arnt really needed, the capacity in which I fuel now is closer to a attendant at a 7/11 then to what I use to do.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a buddy, trained and worked as a diesel mechanic for about 10 years, was good at it, but got bored.

He got a teller job, 20 years later he's a V.P. at the bank, making over $ 200k/yr.

I laughed at him when I first saw him as a teller, now he's the one laughing.

Good Luck.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought about it for the long run but is more of a part time temp thing while in school... but it did get me think about getting my foot in the door to open my own credit union like 50 cent was talking about

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought about it for the long run but is more of a part time temp thing while in school... but it did get me think about getting my foot in the door to open my own credit union like 50 cent was talking about
Consider continuing in the same line in a management capacity at Public Airports in one of the largest 4 cities in the Country, (NY, LA, Chicago, Huston).

Its always extremely difficult to start completely over in a completely different line of work.
Your industry and management experience will be considered and highly valued.
I have a baggage handler friend that that has very high seniority, though still a young man. (40's)

He makes a very high hourly wage, A relatively low stress union position, flies first class for free (also his friends and immediate family) and owns a ranch in Southern California.

He is an attorney who has chosen to remain at his high school job his entire life.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Consider continuing in the same line in a management capacity at Public Airports in one of the largest 4 cities in the Country, (NY, LA, Chicago, Huston).

Its always extremely difficult to start completely over in a completely different line of work.
Your industry and management experience will be considered and highly valued.
I have a baggage handler friend that that has very high seniority, though still a young man. (40's)

He makes a very high hourly wage, A relatively low stress union position, flies first class for free (also his friends and immediate family) and owns a ranch in Southern California.

He is an attorney who has chosen to remain at his high school job his entire life.

thank you for the advice and reply.

the point here is that I am getting out of this field. period. I have no interest in moving up higher then where I am now in this, and moving to a major city to work at a airport( the job that I am sick of) and keep coming home stinking like diesel everyday is not what I want to do. I bought a house like 5 months ago, and just moved back to my home state, its just not the plan.

my current boss was in the marines with a guy who has something to do with the line service side of virgin galactic and was going to try to get me in on that, which at the time interested me enough to continue my career in aviation, but it would involve like moving across the country, and well the stuff they use to make those fly is a heck of a lot more volatile.

the point of this post is that I AM GETTING OUT OF AVIATION lol not moving up, moving around. im going to school for business management as boring as it will be so that if I do in fact decide at some point to start over again then I will not have to start at the bottom somewhere, but mostly it is 4 years of paid time to figure out what it is I really want to do.. I want to go in business for myself, and they over some class's geared towards small business. so I can get paid to learn and not have the stresses of working 12 hour shifts and then going home and going straight into full blown dad mode. I look forward to being able to spend more time with my boys at home, and just work somewhere part time, a couple days a week that wont come with the same head aches..

and ive been in TONS of banks, I am a CRHer after all, so I see what tellers deal with.

I also know what kind of stuff I deal with on a daily basis, tellers don't get called in at 3am in a blizzard to shovel/plow. or move big a## planes around and worry bout scratching them and having some uppity pilot yell at you. not to mention that fueling is one of those jobs that HAS to be done outdoors. no matter the weather. the list goes on...

anyway, my plan was to find just something local that I could do part time, and then it hit me, a teller! im not planning on it becoming my next career.. just alil something to supplement the income

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope it all works out for you. All of it. If you take a teller job, I hope you get to CRH and cherry pick. If you have my luck, some other teller will have dibs on everything, or company policy will change right after you take the job that will prevent you from buying anything.

I have a buddy that about 10 years ago quit his very good paying (for a non-professional in Arkansas) job because he didn't like it. He went back to school, worked very hard and graduated with a 4.0 GPA in business management. About 4 years after graduation, he finally had to take a job selling boats because he couldn't find anything else. That job would not have required the 4 year degree and he makes about half of what he used to. He doesn't really love this job either.

Just things to think about. Best wishes!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread