Time to find the TRUTH?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Over the past few years we have heard postings that: 1) the coin processors (brinks, Loomis, Garda, Dunbar, etc) have been skimming off the silver coins as they process, or , 2)(which is my belief) that there has been NEW COIN SORTERS developed that can extract silver coins as it counts. It would be nice to know for an absolute fact that they DO or DON'T pull silver in the process. If someone that works for (or if you fellow CRH knows somebody) these processors can clear up this question once and for all would settle the doubt. Your thoughts & comments.

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Garda, Not in my area.. I still find silver in my dime boxes. The only Place i know for sure that silver gets sorted out is at TD Bank, their Penny arcade is a 50/50 chance depending on the condition of the silver coin.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machines in banks can have their sensitivity calibrated. More machines at the source are rejecting it from what I can tell. Some banks are getting newer machines in my area.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't handle the truth!
J/K.
I'd love to know more about this subject myself.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
DozerD, where do u live? There's no national cull silver plan by any of the companies. If you are in certain areas of AZ, you're in trouble, find a new hobby. If you suspect employees doing it, complain to your coin sorting company that someone is spending time at work for their own hobbies.

You would have to go through a lot of skunks boxes before you complain. There's a member here in AZ that said he did 98 boxes and got 1 40%er. He found out that they sort out for foreign, silver, etc, coins at the factory.

Silverslug

Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe the tales of silver-culling machines are just that: tales--urban legends. If they are pulling the silver, what are they doing with it? If they were selling it somewhere, somehow, we would all know about it.

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005
I believe the tales of silver-culling machines are just that: tales--urban legends. If they are pulling the silver, what are they doing with it? If they were selling it somewhere, somehow, we would all know about it.

One of the primary factors involved when coinage changed from silver to cupro-nickel clad, was that it have the same electro-magnetic characteristics as the silver it was replacing, so it did not cost vending machine companies a fortune to recalibrate.
Thus, silver coins are too similar to the clad for the machines to tell. As detectorists, haven't you noticed that both silver and clad ring up at the same level on your machines?
If the counting companies have developed reliable silver detection technology, don't you think Garrett, Fisher, Minelab etc, would have it in your detectors by now?

littlehugger

Nov 23, 2005

One of the primary factors involved when coinage changed from silver to cupro-nickel clad, was that it have the same electro-magnetic characteristics as the silver it was replacing, so it did not cost vending machine companies a fortune to recalibrate.
Thus, silver coins are too similar to the clad for the machines to tell. As detectorists, haven't you noticed that both silver and clad ring up at the same level on your machines?
If the counting companies have developed reliable silver detection technology, don't you think Garrett, Fisher, Minelab etc, would have it in your detectors by now?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMHO the stories that come up about companies taking the silver out are just made up by bored people who are trying to scare away new CRHers. Are there probably a few employees doing it once in awhile? Probably, but as a whole it isn't happening. There is plenty of silver being found in MWR still.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean, if the coin counters I dump into can reject silver then why can't the machines that the coin processors use? I'm not saying that they do but they certainly could.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean, if the coin counters I dump into can reject silver then why can't the machines that the coin processors use? I'm not saying that they do but they certainly could.

My guess is that it would filter out foreign, etc. and they don't want to deal with the losses themselves. It's better to filter it out at the consumer end rather than lose out and take responsibility for those coins at their end. Filtering out $100 in Canadian would be a $100 loss for them.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I cannot speak for all but, I worked for a vending machine company until 2013 that sent about (depending) 20- $1000 bags every 2 weeks to the bank. We had our own machines and silver would flow through like any other normal coinage. No one on the local level ever sorted anything unless it stopped the counters. And then, it was either damaged, or more often, a slug of some sort. Due to the very low percentage of silver in circulation it wasn't even in the equation. It's real easy to blame others for pulling silver out but it did not happen in my experience. Unless it presented itself in some fashion, it wasn't looked for. Not with the boss lady hanging over my shoulder wondering why her counter had stopped! Some people cannot be seen in a Lexus, the shame.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
My guess is that it would filter out foreign, etc. and they don't want to deal with the losses themselves. It's better to filter it out at the consumer end rather than lose out and take responsibility for those coins at their end. Filtering out $100 in Canadian would be a $100 loss for them.

Sure, I understand filtering out the foreign (I just found a Balboa last week, btw), but silver is another thing. If the consumer counters can tell the difference between a US cupronickel dime (2.268g) and a US silver dime (2.5g), then surely it should be able to accept both of those and reject the Canadian dime (1.75g). Hell, they could probably program it to throw everything matching the weight of silver US coinage into a separate bag if they wanted to. I'm sure they'd make up their losses on any foreign that snuck through along with it. Of course I know the machines aren't built to do that, but my point is that from a sorting/programming end they could.

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry but my last post really pi$$ed me off. There are soooo many people who feel that thay are "Loosing my a$$" because they are driving a Lexus instead of a Mercedes Benz. I will NEVER, I pray to God, be that way. But let me tell you, they are out there in droves. This is off topic, so I won't "Let it go" Sorry

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI

The technology exists and it has for years/decades
The industrial coin sorters can be adjusted to sort out silver, but it does not seem to occur in my area (detroit).
I have found silver dimes in all the local MWR.

My guess is that sorting for silver would slow down the process and they are in the business of sorting, counting and wrapping coin.
The amount of silver in circulation is likely too low to justify slowing the process.
You may enjoy culling an oz here and there but to a company like Loomis or Brinks that is a waste of time.

It is human nature to try and explain the whys
why did my yield drop?

But none of us search even a measurable fraction of all the coin flowing in our area.
Thus fluctuations in yield are simply due chance and the relative inflow of dumped silver coin.

Ben Cartwright SASS

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Other
No body has mentioned the other reason that less silver, or none, is showing up, CRHers! The more we take out of circulation the less there is.

Arizona, and Florida, lots of retired folks with nothing better to do than search rolls! Granted silver still enters the stream from people who don't know what they are doing dumping it in coin sorters or in rolls at the bank, or thieves spending silver...

Just sayin'

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
No body has mentioned the other reason that less silver, or none, is showing up, CRHers! The more we take out of circulation the less there is.

Arizona, and Florida, lots of retired folks with nothing better to do than search rolls! Granted silver still enters the stream from people who don't know what they are doing dumping it in coin sorters or in rolls at the bank, or thieves spending silver...

Just sayin'

I feel like nearly all of the silver that was originally in circulation from when these coins were minted has already been pulled. The majority of what we're finding is, as you said, from witless individuals putting it back into circulation for us. But unless you're lucky enough to pick up the rolls directly from these people, it still needs to go through the processing facilities.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel like nearly all of the silver that was originally in circulation from when these coins were minted has already been pulled. The majority of what we're finding is, as you said, from witless individuals putting it back into circulation for us. But unless you're lucky enough to pick up the rolls directly from these people, it still needs to go through the processing facilities.
I've found more silver the last few years than I ever did in the late 1970's, we had a recession, high unemployment, interest rates in the 'teens, and $50 silver -

MiHunter's post pretty much sums up the current situation.

Silver Chronicles

Nov 3, 2012
Midwest
Detector(s) used
M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that the truth is most people love conspiracies and to think that one is being played against them. They love to play victim to conspiracy. People will probably take this the wrong way, but they just need to man or woman up and try harder to find silver! The reason everyone is not finding silver right now, is low and behold! All of us! Just like in the 12-13 ammo shortage! It was not government, it was the people crying wolf and saying it was a shortage and we needed to stock up and buy large quantities or else their is none left thus perpetuating a shortage. Supply finally returned when production met demand. Now with silver, unless someone dumps grannies deposit, that is not going to happen to us. It will continue to get smaller until it becomes unprofitable. This is why I mainly get CWR's. Better chances! Keep Stacking! Michael!

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro

Somehow penny arcades in my area reject the silver. Don't was me how but I regularly find silver's in the reject slot

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread