How do you explain this?

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go to my bank each week and pick up my standard order of dimes. A few weeks back, six of the boxes were solid 2015s. This week, I got four boxes that were solid 2015s (or so I thought). When I started tearing into them, nearly every single roll had exactly 1 old coin. By old, I mean not 2015. None were silver, but it was easy to see the worn clad coin in each roll, mixed in with all the new stuff. How does that happen? Also, none of the 'old' coins were in the same place in the rolls. They varied, but there was 1 in nearly all the rolls. WEIRD.

Upvote 0

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up a few dime rolls at the grocery store the other day and saw the same thing. They were the clear plastic rolls and they were solid 2014's except for one or two old ones mixed in.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The universe ebbs and flows. Sh*t happens. That's the best I can explain it.

Back in 2013, I picked up what I thought was a solid box of 2012P dimes. Turns out it almost was except for one single old coin, a 1964 Roosie. Now, that blew my mind.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
When the coin service companies collect coin, like denominations are all dumped into bins. Let's look at dimes, for example. Bags from all sources are dumped into the bin. The contents of the bin are fed to the rolling machine. The rolls are then fed to a boxing machine. In smaller operations boxing of rolls may be done by hand. Boxes are then sealed and stacked.

By understanding the basics of the process it is easier to see how such things could happen. If the loose storage bin is primarily 2015 dimes, so will all rolls processed from that bin.

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the coin service companies collect coin, like denominations are all dumped into bins. Let's look at dimes, for example. Bags from all sources are dumped into the bin. The contents of the bin are fed to the rolling machine. The rolls are then fed to a boxing machine. In smaller operations boxing of rolls may be done by hand. Boxes are then sealed and stacked.

By understanding the basics of the process it is easier to see how such things could happen. If the loose storage bin is primarily 2015 dimes, so will all rolls processed from that bin.

Yeah, I get how it is done, but it still doesn't really explain that out of 200 new rolls, there was exactly 49 new coins and 1 old coin in about 195 of those rolls. That's beyond a coincidence methinks.

Rick624

Sep 8, 2014
Eastern Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Old Whites 6000, Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why look for rhyme and reason from a machine roll ? Right place, right time it happened. If not Coincidence any other explanation will be bordering on paranoia.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
What alternative explanation can there be that would make sense? I suppose I could presume any number of explanations that would affect production time, labor costs, or both.

The ONLY truly solid date boxes I have ever seen are those that had the "mint" seal still on it. I used to see these frequently when the new dollars were popular.

OP
OP
J

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What alternative explanation can there be that would make sense? I suppose I could presume any number of explanations that would affect production time, labor costs, or both.

The ONLY truly solid date boxes I have ever seen are those that had the "mint" seal still on it. I used to see these frequently when the new dollars were popular.

I see solid date boxes all the time (unfortunately). However, I've just never seen a consistent ratio of 49 new to 1 old in nearly all the rolls for 4 straight boxes. I don't care if its coincidence, etc. I just thought I was weird, that's all. Not sure how it happened, but I'll chalk it up to one of the great mysteries of the universe I suppose.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread