Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not into saving Canadians as such, but does Canada coins get minted at other locations, such as we in the USA have: P D & S mints (Philly, Denver, San Fran)? Just wondering.

Can't answer your question, Dozer. But, I do know that Canada changed their metal content at the same time the US did........so, I do collect any quarters and dimes dated '64 and before and pennies 82 and before.................

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dumber Canadian Answer

3 Canadian Mints

Untitledb.jpg

The Royal Canadian Mint's headquarters occupy the historic building in central Ottawa where the Mint was founded in 1908. Today, the Ottawa facility produces hand-crafted collector and commemorative coins, gold bullion coins, medals and medallions. This is where the master tooling is done to create the dies that strike coin designs for both circulation and commemorative issues. The Mint's gold refining and advanced engineering operations are also located here in Ottawa.
RCM2005.jpg

plus I don't see anything listed with a Mint mark.

So I don't think it is a way to know even if they have different production

Coins and Canada - Canadian coins price guide, value, errors and varieties

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't answer your question, Dozer. But, I do know that Canada changed their metal content at the same time the US did........so, I do collect any quarters and dimes dated '64 and before and pennies 82 and before.................

Actually they didn't. They did it later. You may be giving away silver.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Canada put silver in coins up to and including some coins minted in 1968. Copper in pennies are different copper content up to 1996 I believe. Canadian nickels are almost pure nickel up to 1986, they are worth more then a nickel because of melt value.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great advice!!!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually they didn't. They did it later. You may be giving away silver.

Yup.........80% silver in dimes, quarters and halves through 1967 and 50% silver in 1968 (except the half dollars)..........and 98% copper in pennies through 1996.........

This is one of the reasons I have joined this forum..........you vets keep me looking for the correct information...........thanks................

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All circulating Canadian coins are minted at their facility in Winnipeg. Tours are available and it is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Free Samples ? Like at Hershey ?

SamplesLadyChoco.jpg

Last edited:

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Canada put silver in coins up to and including some coins minted in 1968. Copper in pennies are different copper content up to 1996 I believe. Canadian nickels are almost pure nickel up to 1986, they are worth more then a nickel because of melt value.

Canadian nickels per 99.9 Ni thru 1981

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread