Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
small piece flaked off near the mintmark. area behind portrait is nearly as high as the hair IMG_1304.JPG IMG_1305.JPG IMG_1306.JPG this is not glue, tape or other foreign material, just blistering of outer layer of planchet

Upvote 0

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unlike other white-metal US coins, the modern nickel does not have a clad layer. It is a cupro-nickel alloy through and through.

No explanation for what you are or are not seeing, but it's not a lamination error in the normal sense.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Unlike other white-metal US coins, the modern nickel does not have a clad layer. It is a cupro-nickel alloy through and through.

No explanation for what you are or are not seeing, but it's not a lamination error in the normal sense.

Even the Cupro-Nickel planchets of Nickels suffer laminations and de-laminations of the metal on the surface of the coins. I have owned and sold many Nickels with these errors. I agree that it is not a lamination error on the O.P.'s coin and it really appears to be glue on the surface. The striations underneath are due to severe Die Fatigue.

Frank

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I agree. This is not a lamination error. Any lamination error would occur prior to the coining presses.

I do have an issue with the previous post. When any metal is rolled to a thinner state, some "layering" can occur. This is especially true if the metal being rolled is not annealed periodically during the process. When this happens, a separation of layers can occur that appears very similar to what we call a "lamination" error. I do have a few nicks that show this problem, but nothing that appears like that in the OP.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, incorrect annealing of the metal sheets when rolling them thinner can cause separations but also air bubbles or contaminants in the metal stock can cause these.

Frank

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Sorry about the mixup, huntsman. Seems you and I were writing our initial replies at the same time.

We're I able to glass the coin in question, I may be able to determine the cause of the damage. From the images provided I am of the opinion that it may be post mint damage. I could be wrong.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mystery solved, a wash with acetone made no change-----then a hot needle melted it. it was apparently clear epoxy. STILL WORTH 5 CENTS!!!!!!!

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even the Cupro-Nickel planchets of Nickels suffer laminations and de-laminations of the metal on the surface of the coins. I have owned and sold many Nickels with these errors ...

...I do have an issue with the previous post. When any metal is rolled to a thinner state, some "layering" can occur. This is especially true if the metal being rolled is not annealed periodically during the process. When this happens, a separation of layers can occur that appears very similar to what we call a "lamination" error. I do have a few nicks that show this problem, but nothing that appears like that in the OP.

I was not saying that a nickel could not have defects resulting in an unintended lamination. I was responding to OP's description of "blistering of outer layer of planchet".

small piece flaked off near the mintmark. area behind portrait is nearly as high as the hair View attachment 1154323 View attachment 1154324 View attachment 1154325 this is not glue, tape or other foreign material, just blistering of outer layer of planchet

Nickel planchets do not have an outer layer and that was the point of my reply.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread