What would you guys do? Dilemma.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys i posted something on this before... selling Ike dollars. I used to sell them to my LCS at 1.10 each. They stopped buying them as i brought way too much lol. So now Im left with like $400 of them and i dont want to go through the hassle of selling them on ebay.. What do you guys think just bring them to the bank? I dont want to lose any money on these, the LCS told me to spend them as they have no value. I took the uncirculated ones and valuable varieties out already. Opinions please!@!

Upvote 0

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
craigslist is your last option... dont even waste your time on ebay and paypal fees will cost you, might end up losing money. If no takers on Craigslist, you have 400$ to spend over time... lol GL

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea im not really into craigslist... seems like nobody wants ikes atm.

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Take that $400.00 add $100.00 and buy another box of halves. Might be a dream box. That is what I would do
HH

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take that $400.00 add $100.00 and buy another box of halves. Might be a dream box. That is what I would do
HH
Sounds like the best thing to do right now haha just dont want to take them back for fv and have them actually be worth something in the future

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell them at face to my LCS...........they have a customer that buys them by the bag at slightly over face.......and my LCS gives me a discount on my purchases.........
Otherwise, I would just spend them.......just be sure the younger cashiers recognize them as dollars...........:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell them at face to my LCS...........they have a customer that buys them by the bag at slightly over face.......and my LCS gives me a discount on my purchases.........
Otherwise, I would just spend them.......just be sure the younger cashiers recognize them as dollars...........:icon_scratch:
They always oogle over them and act like theyre gold. And i tell them nobody wants them and theyre worth nothing but they dont believe me and they make me feel like im turning in something very special

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A UNC Ike is going to be worth something, 200 years from now...

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I spend them as tips when we eat out. At the last garage sale we had just before Christmas I put a pile of about 15 out on the table for $2.00 each, sold them all to the folks wanting to give them to the grand kids. I ask each bank I stop in when looking for halves if they have any of the big old dollars, and get a few every month that way. In the last small pile I picked up got a 1922 real silver dollar in the group, that was a winner.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newest Ike is now 37 years old. You think the value is going to change much in the next 10-20 years? Its doubtful. I personally would rather have that $400 "working" for me and not tied up in coins that I do not expect to appreciate in value and/or that are slow sellers for minimal profit.

If ebay and Craigslist aren't options, then about all you can do is spend them or hope to find a bank that will take them. As weighit said above, they do make for a unique way to tip, when the tip is only going to be a few dollars. Thats what I generally do with mine when I don't have that many. I do the same with $2 bills.

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Non-collectors think they are neat because of the size and seeming scarcity. I'm guessing you could sell a whole pile at a garage sell or even an auction, if you found the right circumstance. You might get some value using them as a bartering tool at a flea market, estate, garage, yard sale, etc...

All that said, it's not worth it to me. I just use or deposit in the most convenient way for face value. If I'm feeling social, I use them as tip money.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I use them along with 2 dollar bills for tips at restarants. However, I also have a poker set of Ikes, Kennedy halves, and bicentennial quarters that I break out with my buddies every once in a while.

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking as a 30 year bartender/waitress - I did :love10: all dollar coins.

Here's my ratings - I handled money all day, so you develop a eye for the odd. Not looking for dates/such.

Sacajawea - Hey, a buck is a buck - tip another server if you don't stash for rainy day.

Presidential - As I left the business in 2001, can't comment, likely same as above.

Ike's - Still a buck money wise, but has a overall coolness that we keep for a really rainy day.

The White Whale of this list - - A real silver dollar - happened 3 times in Alaska. I still have one.

But, the #1 US Dollar coin for myself - The Susan B. Looked like a quarter, and when drinks were 1.00 during happy hour, change was dug out of pockets for a tip. Working downtown with Susan B coming out of automated parking and public transit, I was a happy camper.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
just dont want to take them back for fv and have them actually be worth something in the future

i dont think even i will be around long enough for that. (and im 16!)

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the others above said.

Personally, I sold all mine on Craigslist for $1.10 each. Got lucky and found someone who wanted the whole batch. I also spent a few as tips or at fast food joints just to see the reaction of the cashiers who typically had never seen one.

Another choice would be a coin show and maybe you'll find a different dealer willing to buy a few/all of them.

As said above, I would also skip eBay for Ikes, too much risk for too little profit (or even potential loss).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread