Storing your silver?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick question for you guys! Do yall buy coinsafe tubes to store your silver coins halves, dimes, etc? or do you just get the free ones from the bank? Also any recommendations on a nice cheaper home safe? any specifically for coins?

I wouldn't store my coins in paper wrappers, that's a good way for them to get conveniently carried to the bank and deposited/cashed.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm high tech.

image-3593922512.jpg

image-2279236145.jpg

Works good for fishing lures too!
I normally just use the wrappers from the bank though. Or flips if they're better possibly a book if I'm making a set. As far as safes- not so much. Never bought one yet! Besides the safe deposit box.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm high tech.

View attachment 1159663

View attachment 1159664

Works good for fishing lures too!
I normally just use the wrappers from the bank though. Or flips if they're better possibly a book if I'm making a set. As far as safes- not so much. Never bought one yet! Besides the safe deposit box.

I like the 25 Peso coin! I've got one of those too, it's a cool coin. :thumbsup:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use plastic tubes (whitman, etc) and store them in heavy duty coin boxes or boxes from the bank if they're quality enough.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use plastic coin tubes to hold the coins, and then store the full tubes in an old metal ammo can.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My junk silver goes into ziploc-type bags. Any coin I wish to keep for numismatic purposes goes into a 2x2 flip or hard acrylic holder. All are stored in safety deposit boxes.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My junk silver goes into ziploc-type bags. Any coin I wish to keep for numismatic purposes goes into a 2x2 flip or hard acrylic holder. All are stored in safety deposit boxes.

Sorry, it's a pet peeve: Safe deposit box, not safety deposit box.

Edit: I also keep my silver in a safe deposit box.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I use plastic coin tubes to hold the coins, and then store the full tubes in an old metal ammo can.

~in an old metal ammo can.... buried next to the?

And the only reason I'm asking is out of concern. You know, in case something should accidentally, totally by accident, happen- and you know, I could help you out by cashing the coins in for, o-say.... medical bills.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually roll my common ones in paper and keep them in an nondescript box. I write "SILVER" on them so when they're accidentally deposited, you all will know what they are ;) I feel like if I was robbed, an unsecured safe would be the first thing to go! I guess a cardboard box isn't really any safer though... Even though Franklins and some Walkers don't really command much of a premium, I keep all of them in 2x2s in one of those long rectangular coin boxes.

I also wouldn't keep them in a safe-deposit box. I want my silver in my hands when and where I need it.

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The phrase referring to a box in which valuables are stored is safe-deposit box, not safety-deposit box. The latter is an eggcorn resulting from a mishearing of the former. The mistake is understandable because the first two syllables of safe-deposit box sound like safety."

Safe-deposit box - Grammarist

Are you depositing your safety into a box as indicated by "safety deposit box", or are you depositing your box into a safe as indicated by "safe deposit box"?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"The phrase referring to a box in which valuables are stored is safe-deposit box, not safety-deposit box. The latter is an eggcorn resulting from a mishearing of the former. The mistake is understandable because the first two syllables of safe-deposit box sound like safety."

Safe-deposit box - Grammarist

Are you depositing your safety into a box as indicated by "safety deposit box", or are you depositing your box into a safe as indicated by "safe deposit box"?

I'm actually depositing my silver into a box for purposes of safety.

Sorry, but a big pet peeve of mine is anyone who must correct any and every little typo, grammatical error and the like.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Store mine in canvas bank bags- in my safe which is bolted to the cement ground in my basement

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If SHTF, i doubt the banks will open and allow you to withdraw your silver...

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Store mine in canvas bank bags- in my safe which is bolted to the cement ground in my basement

I store my "junk" 40%ers in a canvas bank bag like you Russell. Using tubes for the 40%ers just stared taking up to much space and to hard to move.

All '64s, bens, walkers, wars, buffs, Mercs and Rosie's in tubes.

I've never actually looked into it but I think a poker chip is the same size half dollar.... Anyone ever use those "briefcase" looking chip set holders?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you all have crap loads of silver? Like the world is ending silver piles? I can't imagine filling a sandwich bag let alone a canvas bag... I have a decent amount I thought. Like $100 face.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread