Somewhere theres a shark

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Somewhere there's a shark

I started getting 2 boxes a week again a few months back after a little vac. Did fairly well for a while and then recently things began going downhill with a busted open box here and a busted open one there, I get 1 box from 2 different banks. Last weeks Chase's box had extra tape on it and when I opened it every roll had been split down the side and five rolls had been replaced with regular wrapper rolls so I guess someone got some silver. The shark has tasted the blood. PNC's box was busted open and a skunk. This week at Chase when I went to complain the Vault Teller asked me if my box had split open rolls in it too and that another person had returned their box. She had a box that looked OK which I took, she added that the other ones all looked opened. Today at PNC I got the long flat box with Loomis tape down the middle of the box but it wasn't glued and inside were the black and white wrappers of the square boxes, each one cut down the side. I know it is not the Tellers giving me the boxes doing it. Skunks suck but searching through a box that has already been searched is way worse. It's not even shark week yet.

Before the nonsense started I had been doing good with my best 90% box ever. It had 6 64's, 5 Franklin's, and 4 Walkers, also had 3 40%'s. 1 box of dimes a week gave up 4 with 3 being Mercs a couple weeks ago and this weeks had 2 with 1 a Merc. The dime box was 90% 2014's with just a few older ones mixed in and I found the good ones in the last three rolls that I opened.

Upvote 0

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn, that's a serious dick move. I guess at least you know that they have been searched already though, versus someone pulling the silver and rewrapping them.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Complaining to the teller about someone searching boxes?

Someone else returning a searched box to the pickup bank?

I would be more worried about your beach being closed than a shark swimming in the water.

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So you've been picking up someones dump?

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Complaining to the teller about someone searching boxes? Nope, answering the Vault Teller's question that yes my last box had every roll sliced just like the one did that someone else returned.

Someone else returning a searched box to the pickup bank? Nope, the boxes are coming right off of the armoured carrier's truck.

I would be more worried about your beach being closed than a shark swimming in the water.

I wouldn't worry about my beach much everything will work out fine. Sorry if you misunderstood what I wrote.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
So you've been picking up someones dump?

Yes and No someones dumps are being delivered by the carriers in resealed boxes to my pickup banks. The one from PNC, a long flat box, had sliced black and white wrappers of the brinks square boxes and had been resealed with tape that said Loomis across it. The box looked untouched on the outside. There were no other different wrappers in this box so maybe there had been no silver in it, I looked through each roll anyway but didn't find anything. The other box that had 5 different wrappers replaced, I found a 87 in.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's possible that the coin roll processing place just tossed the sliced down the side rolls in a new box instead of running them through the machine. Others have reported getting a sealed box with rewraps.

Now, the broken boxes with the 7-8 different wrappers: this happened at my pickup bank and they said it dropped and they rewrapped the broken rolls as cwr and resealed the box with clear tape. They were not looking for silver just repairing a mistake.

Acham's razor would suggest maybe the above two explanations rather than a shark going after your boxes, but just because it's more convoluted of an explanation doesn't mean it's not happening.

It sucks getting rewraps, but I too would be cautious about making a big stink about it since it draws attention to what you are doing, and it's not the banks fault most likely.

OP
OP
M

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
Zero, the different wrappers, 5, were in a sealed box with all the others being sliced black and white Brink's wrappers. But it was shipped to the Bank in that condition, sealed like it was a newly packed box.

I don't know where you and others are getting all worried about me making a big stink from. My one Bank I didn't even tell about the cut rolls and the other one, Chase, I had complained about the boxes being opened after like 4 or 5 weeks straight. Before I could tell her, she asked if mine had been cut because another person had brought their box back and that I could and should if I got another with cut rolls, which I wouldn't do. She calls me when the boxes get there and I go right down so I get a good box, she gets 3 or 4 for other people. I'm disabled with COPD and they always ask if I need any help getting the boxes into my truck which was one reason I told her I didn't want any opened boxes. Besides I'm looking for everything mm, errors, not just silver so there's no problems at my pick-up or dump banks. But thanks for your concern.

Zero

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No big deal...looks like you have it all under control. Over the years we have seen some people get upset about things and shoot themselves in the foot. Like going nuts over sniping tellers and talking about silver too much.

It's all good...sorry about your rewrapped boxes. Keep on rolling!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions