Bank coin counting machines: friend or foe?

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The head teller of one bank that I use has told me since they installed coin counting machines for the customers that the tellers never get halves.
Another teller chimes in, "Well I have these halves that were too dirty to go through the counter so the customer brought them to me, do you want them"? Yes!

Well they are dirty but that's not why these 10 halves ended up in the reject slot.
1-64
2-67
7-68D

Attachments

• SAM_1486.JPG
    SAM_1486.JPG
    282.8 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang "dirty money"..............LOL :laughing7:
Nice score!!!!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it was not the dirt, but the weight. machine was calibrated to accept only clad. YOU WIN, now keep it up!!!!. and always check the reject tray ( and don't be lazy---check under the machine if there is space for coins to slide under it) before and after using the machine. HH, and always be thankful for dummies who have no idea about the good stuff!!!

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I deposited $5K in halves the other day and 3 halves were counted as dollar coins and 4 as quarters...coin counting machines aren't perfect, but I like the one at your bank!

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought out every half at a small bank Saturday from their machine. Teller sat there and counted up every one, pointing out the '64's as he did. Ended up with 4 '64's and 3 40%ers. Just waiting for that machine to reload a bit.

OP
OP
G

gravityrules

Feb 20, 2012
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Fisher F5, Fisher 1265-X, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought out every half at a small bank Saturday from their machine. Teller sat there and counted up every one, pointing out the '64's as he did. Ended up with 4 '64's and 3 40%ers. Just waiting for that machine to reload a bit.

Very nice that they let you do that! The bank I'm famiiar with seems to have a contract with someone (Brinks or Loomis) to service the counters. This counter sorts the coins by denomination into large poly bags ... not sure they would sell coins from the machine to customers.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to dump my coins today and the counter left me a pleasant surprise. Whoever used it yesterday left a bunch of change under the top tray. Totaled a little over $17!

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
Very nice that they let you do that! The bank I'm famiiar with seems to have a contract with someone (Brinks or Loomis) to service the counters. This counter sorts the coins by denomination into large poly bags ... not sure they would sell coins from the machine to customers.

Sounds exactly like my credit union. One day I casually asked them if they ever see any wheat cents passed around and a teller told me that he sees them all the time, and that in fact, a guy dumped a whole bottle of them the day before and the teller was pretty sure he saw some indian heads. I said, "holy crap, are they still in there?" And he told me that they were split into two bags because he had to swap out a full one for a new one, and that they were in the back along with two other full bags. I asked if I could purchase the entire bags because my kids and I like to hunt for wheat pennies, and he said it was no problem. So we bought 40,000 pennies and got to work...

Anyway, just ask them if you can buy a bag of pennies because your kids like to search for wheats. Nobody will raise an eyebrow at that, and if they say yes, then you know they'll sell bags and you can ask for other coins next time around. Personally, I love doing the bags MUCH more than rolls; so much faster and less messy. My favorites are nickels and can burn through $200.00 worth in an hour or two.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread