Solid roll of... 2015 dimes...

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish the title of this thread could have been, "Solid roll... of silver dimes", or better yet, "Solid roll of barber halves", but no. I got $45 of dimes from the bank, and although I normally get more, it was just excess money I had as I had more money than I needed for the banks remaining half dollars, which on a side note, gave me no silver (and only 3 or 4 NIFC).

Anyways, after opening the first dime roll, I noticed that all the dimes were extremely shiny and new looking. When I looked at the dates, every single one, barring one 2007 dimes, were 2015 dimes. I opened a couple of more rolls with the same results, so I decided not to open all 9 rolls. I am really shocked, as the last dimes I got produced a silver rosie.

Did these rolls come straight from the federal reserve? And is there any well to tell in the future if rolls will be all new coins?

On a side note, I ordered $200 in pennies from the bank, and all 20,000 coins should come in next week. Based on my current find rates (and I know CRHing is unpredictable, but still, it is fun to play with numbers), I am hoping to find around 90 wheat pennies.

If anyone wants to guess how many wheats I will find, please be my guest!

Thanks,

John

Upvote 0

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I understand it, the mint sells the coins in bags to the various coin delivery companies like Loomis and Brinks. They take those bags and roll them and box them. If they just got a big order of new coins in, then they must roll them all at once, resulting in entire boxes of brand new coins. I haven't had the bad luck to get an entire box, but I've had many individual rolls of all new coins. They do seem to sell for a bit of a premium on ebay, and you can always look through them for errors. I prefer looking for older coins though, so I generally just dump them all.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're not allowed to complain about solid rolls unless you were searching during the Great Plague of 2013. The Mint hit higher production levels than the 6 years preceding 2013.

Every year for a few months we get the business strikes in solid rolls, then the batches are integrated into the current circulated coins, and it's back to normal. Mathematically your chances are down but you get new silver added as well so I don't know what the stats would be.

I think 1) people throw change in jars and it doesn't circulate as much as it used to, so the mint has to up production. This is evidenced by the slowing of mintage during the recession- people turning coins in and they didn't need to make as many since the supply was replenished.

2) Coins are still minted by the US government, not the Federal Reserve, so it's a sneaky way to increase the money supply. The government can up the coins without worrying about the Fed. A drop in the bucket, but creative.

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, do you think I should keep the rolls or turn them in for more coins?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't matter what we think, entirely up to you. If you want a roll just to collect then do that. Don't take them back to the same bank!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just exchanged 2 boxes of 2015 nickels this week. next will be the qtrs. & halves. will be opening boxes before I drive away to avoid the extra trip back, gas is still TOO Da^N HIGH:-(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread