Why are there dream boxes?

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum, and every once in a while, someone posts a dream box find with over 200 silvers in one box. On average, I'm only finding 4-10 silvers per box, with only 1 or 2 90% silvers and no bens or walkers.

I was doing the calculations, and it seems extremely unlikely that every several hundred (maybe thousand) boxes contain over 200 silvers, while everything else contains only 4-10. Is it really luck, or is it possible the machines that sort and wrap discriminate silver coins, and eventually, they get rolled, possibly after having been contained in a different area of the machine, possibly as some sort of rejects.

This may have already been discussed, so I apologize if it has, but I'm just curious about how some boxes contain so many silver and some contain none.

Thanks,

John

Upvote 0

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello all,

Is it really luck, or is it possible the machines that sort and wrap discriminate silver coins, and eventually, they get rolled, possibly after having been contained in a different area of the machine, possibly as some sort of rejects.
John

We wondered this too. Until we saw a video of a coin rolling machine, at a coin sorting facilty. We always imagined it as some giant machine with a huge hopper that bags and bags of halves are tossed into. Then the machine feeds the coins into the paper wrappers/rolls that we all find in boxes.

The video we saw showed the size of the hopper that coins wrapping machines use, it was about 12 inches square. The machine operator would take a bag of halves (The kind you see on coin counting machines in the bank) and dump one bag at a time into the hopper. What ever was in that bag would be made into machine wrapped rolls and placed in boxes we buy at the bank. If the bag had a high volume of silver halves, (i.e. a collection) there is a good chance they will all wind up in one box, or perhaps share the next box.

We saw the video on this forum some years ago. We do not know how to search and find it.
So basically it is the size of the hopper that determined how bags from bank coin machines mix together. If you can only fit one bag or so into the hopper there can not be much mixing of bags.

Also as a side note the the machine used on the video we saw did not really allow the machine operator to cherry pick silver coins. There may be other coin wrapping machined in use, but from the video we could see that this was at a substantial sized sorting plant.

We hope this helps.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
A dream box is only 5 solid rolls being thrown away and then repacked. I have never found one myself but I have gotten 2 in the 70's and 1 50's and in them I had rolls of 5,6, and 1 roll of 7 silver coins. While a lot of rolls had multiple silver even more had none. A dream box is only 100 silver coins, 200 would be a double dream box and yes finding one is just a simple matter of getting the right box at the right time. Most of my big find boxes were 40%'s but I got a nice 90%'s box a couple months ago with 6 JFK's, 5 Franklins, and 4 Walkers.

Last edited:

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dream box is another CRH or collectors nightmare. It happens when the family of a dead CRH or collected just takes the collection to the bank for face value.

TroutBumDave

Jan 8, 2015
Northern Utah
Detector(s) used
White's Coin Master 6000/D -- Garrett GTI 2500 -- Etrac
Primary Interest:
Other
A dream box for me would be anything over 2 in a box. Sadly, I've only had one box that had two in it, about 800 skunk boxes, and like three boxes with one 40%er.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
On average, I'm only finding 4-10 silvers per box, with only 1 or 2 90% silvers and no bens or walkers.

Finding "only" 4-10 silvers per box? For many of us, those averages would almost qualify as dream boxes nowadays. The most I've ever gotten from a single box was 46 silvers, and that was years ago. These days, I average 1 40% silver half per TWO boxes.

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 to 10 a box you say!!! That would be incredible. I need to start ordering boxes where you live. Most boxes contain 0 silver coins in Md. I order boxes to keep me calm between teller finds. CWR and teller trays are where my finds come from. My only good box out of close to thirty boxes has been five silvers, 2 90% and 3 40%.

OP
OP
J

johnnyv123

Jun 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know I had such good luck. If I get six or 8 rolls without a silver I'd be surprised. Knock on wood, hopefully that luck will stay.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread