OP
norcalsteve

norcalsteve

Sep 30, 2013
Petaluma, CA
Detector(s) used
36" Bazooka Prospector, Gold-n-Sand hand dredge
Not a skunk. Better than 2 40s!

That's what i was thinking too. And, I don't have to sell them to make a profit.
I have found I think 10 boxes over the last few months with extra halves.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Skunk means no keepers. I think you get to keep the extras so that means no skunk.

Curious. Loomis boxes?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the terminology really matter?

With that said, its absolutely a skunk box. Better than your average skunk box obviously, but no keepers = skunk.

It would be like fishing a bass tournament where the minimum length for a keeper is 15". You proceed to catch 100 14 inch fish. While you technically had a better day than someone who caught no fish, you're just as skunked as he is when it comes time for the weigh-in.

A better example: Suppose you found a roll of halves with 2 extra coins (21 silvers and a non-silver clad Kennedy). You did NOT find a solid roll even though it contained more silver than a solid roll.

Last edited:

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searched 2 boxes of halves tonight and even though I found no silver once again I found many rolls with 21 halves in them. One box had 7 and the other box had 5 over stuffed rolls. Even with no silver I came out
$6.00 ahead.

:coffee2: Sorry Steve. My understanding is that since we are looking for silver in a box, a box with no silver even with extra halves in some rolls would still be a pepe le pew (skunk) box. It's nice to get a box with some extra halves in it as it makes up for the times when a box has rolls that are short in it.
HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions