Brinks coin counter malfunction

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Went through a box of cents that I picked up last weekend. Was only hoping to pull a few wheaties, and the usual 15-18% coppers, but was I ever surprised. Started opening the rolls to dump in a tote box for later sorting, then the Rosie's started to show. Almost every roll had a CLAD ROSIE, some with 2 or 3. Buy the time I cut open all the rolls, there was 46 clad dimes that were mis-sorted and included as cents. I feel sorry for the person that dumped dimes at a bank, only to get a MAJOR SHORTAGE on their payout. You would think that the Brinks operator would have seen all those dimes in the hopper, but instead let them flow as cents. I could find doing CENTS very profitable if all boxes were like this, but I'm sure that it was only a minor machine malfunction. Makes up for the times I was shorted in the past in like manner. By the way, box score as: wheaties 12, copper about 12%, clad $4.60-.46=$4.14 PROFIT.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not bad! I would pick up a few more boxes if you know which bank you got them from.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like finding dimes mixed in with cents and even nickels....it's always nice to get a little profit like that!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Scancoin and Magner machines at my credit union will routinely count some of my dime dumps as pennies (ouch), thus the penny bag will have clad dimes. I always let them know, with the standard reply-- use these machines at your risk. generally the machine needs cleaning, which causes the error. never counts pennies as dimes, go figger (sic)!!!!!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I usually avoid dumping dimes in a machine for just that reason. It's pretty rare for me to find a dime in a penny roll(at least for machine wrapped rolls) but common to get a few dimes counted as pennies when using the machines. Usually, all I put through the machines are nickels and pennies (cents lol).

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want worry free dime dumping, "test" the machine as you go. Just dump dimes into the hopper in batches of $10 or $20 and let the count catch up before dumping the next Dixie cup full. If it is off, stop. Otherwise keep dumping a Dixie cup after another.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
outstanding.gif
Ya did great Dozer!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never sweat the few miscounts considering the following: more than a few silver rosies, a few Mercs, a crushed 14K ring jammed between the wheel and platen, a 1986 1 OZT American Prospector 90% silver that some dope tried to run thru a machine that does not take large dollar coins, a hand full of wheats including a 1909 VDB ( no stinkin' S), lots of full reject trays the fool didn't check, the piles of clad that fall on the floor due to the trash people put in their coffee cans, then add the coins still in the hopper that go into my count when they hit the stop button before the the machine finishes their count, the best was $14 in halfs from the previous dumper. I have made more money on some dumps than I got from the box, then the coins under the machine have been some silvers, foreign, plus lots of clad. then add the talks with waiting customers ahead and behind, a great source of leads, sold my Garrett Ace 250 to a lady waiting to use the machine. all of the 3 machines I use have PAID ME, so I consider the dump to be 50% of the CRH experience. Happy Hunting---- now go wash your hands!!!!!

Last edited:

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been getting dimes in rolls of cents for months from Loomis boxes. The best part is that they are always extra - there are 50 cents plus the dime. In one case, the dime was at the end of the roll. A few months ago, I got a box of cents that had $26 in it. There were two extra rolls shoved in it. That was when Loomis still had the boxes with the holes on one side and I looked at it and the rolls didn't line up with the holes. I was afraid it was short, so I opened the box in front of the teller. We both looked at it, he pulled two rolls out and everything lined up. Then he looked at me and said "I'm not going to be off, they're yours" and handed the two extra rolls to me.
Last week, when I picked up my boxes, the teller told me "The Loomis guy dropped your box of halves again". When she handed it to me, I noticed that the top was completely open, it was detached on three sides. Again, being afraid of a short box, I lined up the rolls and counted them. There were 51. I showed her and asked if she got two boxes, both broken open. She said no, that's all she had. Once again, I was told to keep the extra roll. And there were five 40% halves in the box, two of which were enders.

Scott

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread