ASE

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's why I call around to see who's selling at the best price before heading out to buy. But, I'm lucky in that I have a ton of coin shops in my area.

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I'm not that lucky with coin shops.. We have 2 and both always sell everything way over priced and they have banking hours.. 10-5 or so.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Your Local Coin dealer tries to make a profit with his business??? Imagine the nerve

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check around online..you can find some decent deals. I buy from jmbullion.com sometimes and have been happy with them.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not as bad of a spread as I'd think. I'd expect them to buy at spot or even a little below. They need to eat too. $4.50 a coin isn't too bad for a local brick & mortar.

Check APMEX though, they have sell and ask prices posted.

Cobbolicious

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In fact, that's better than APMEX atm, which is selling silver eagles at roughly $7.00 over spot ask ($22.16 versus $15.17) and buying at $2.50 over spot bid ($17.57 vs. $15.07)--a buy/sell spread of $4.50: APMEX Silver Eagles | Buy Silver Coins Online. Part of it is just that supply in the (real) silver market is tight right now.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
They need to eat too. $4.50 a coin isn't too bad for a local brick & mortar.

Accord, I believe we're generally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. However, as a retail business owner with a brick and mortar store, I must say, You are spot on here! Thank You!

People, if you like any small retailers, abandon Amazon, or the net and patronize those businesses or it won't be long before brick and mortar stores cease to exist!

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People, if you like any small retailers, abandon Amazon, or the net and patronize those businesses or it won't be long before brick and mortar stores cease to exist!

Off topic, but, I am of the opinion that brick and mortar stores will never cease to exist. Not with instant gratification being so ingrained in the current and up-and-coming generations. If someone wants or needs something badly enough, they aren't going to wait even just one day to have it delivered. They are going to go out and get it when they want or need it.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
MM, You're correct. Not all physical stores will disappear. However, as market share loss and margin erosion make it more difficult to actually make a living, people like me are simply going to say enough.

Avago

Jun 26, 2014
The 2nd State
Primary Interest:
Other
Off topic, but, I am of the opinion that brick and mortar stores will never cease to exist. Not with instant gratification being so ingrained in the current and up-and-coming generations. If someone wants or needs something badly enough, they aren't going to wait even just one day to have it delivered. They are going to go out and get it when they want or need it.

Not sure if you've seen, but Amazon is trying out ONE-HOUR delivery in LA. It's called Amazon Prime Now.

Isn't that insane?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure if you've seen, but Amazon is trying out ONE-HOUR delivery in LA. It's called Amazon Prime Now.

Isn't that insane?

I just had some stuff delivered from it..its pretty awesome..there was a 15 dollar min. But totally worth it!

it does help that the Amazon Dist. is on the same street as my job lol

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To those being critical of OP, I didn't see it as a criticism of the retailer so much as an observation regarding timing to sell ASE's.
... It is not good to sell today ASE.

We all know that when spot dips, premiums (and/or spread) swell. Hold.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Accord, I believe we're generally on opposite ends of the political spectrum. However, as a retail business owner with a brick and mortar store, I must say, You are spot on here! Thank You!

No problem! I try to buy local and locally owned instead of buying from big companies.

Plus you have that coin in your hand instead of wondering if and when it will come! Pay cash and forget about it...we've had some mailbox thefts in our city recently.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's not too terrible....for a few coins. If you talk to them and are selling to them or buying in large quantity, they will deal with you usually. He can't make any money if he buys and sells just a few....They have bills to pay too.Rent,taxes,utilities,etc....... :dontknow:

I see these kind of complaints in other forums and have this argument with friends often, I use to think the same way. as an example....Just think of what it cost to run your household every month. Now, how many coins at that profit margin would you have to sell just to break even? That dealer has to move some volume just to make bills, before he can even pay himself anything.

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MM, You're correct. Not all physical stores will disappear. However, as market share loss and margin erosion make it more difficult to actually make a living, people like me are simply going to say enough.

Some will stay, the guys with money to play as a hobby. But the profit margins are so small anymore, you have to have deep pockets and move serious volume. Plus other reasons I beat to death already in another thread.:laughing7:

That and you do get a lot of "impulse" buys. That was fading too.... I use to actually give kids coins, if they were young and really looking at something hard, and I didn't have much in it I'd give it to them. Not, because I'm a nice guy! It's good advertising and it also sparks future interest of person to person dealing(well, your buying it in a way! lol).That's what the tubs of world coins are good for too. I probably gave away more wheats than I sold, to kids trying to fill their wheat books. :laughing7:

These past few threads are actually sparking my interest again, in trying to do something again! I'm just a few years behind in pricing and the actual market. OOOOhhh The shallow pocket is an issue too!:laughing7:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread