No "FG" Penny

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your post seems like a riddle. You have 6 penny's with no FG but then you say there are 5 all together. I have never heard of a no FG penny. Have you looked at them with a loupe maybe the FG is just worn down or off. Are the pennies in mint condition? I feel like pictures would help out a lot.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some cents without the FG.

If you have a good magnifying glass, make sure that is COMPLETELY missing. It is usually just a greased or worn die with only a tiny bit showing.

There doesn't seem to be a premium or a large market for them though, unfortunately.

Check the "coin" forum instead, they have more experts on the actual coins. We're just good at finding things.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Although it is likely that you will only ever purchase, get in change or even hold a very minute percentage of the Lincoln Cents ever minted, the No "FG" error and it is actually an Error and not a Variety, is probably more common than most believe! All of the Master Hub Dies, Master Dies, Working Hub Dies and Working Dies contain the Designer's initials and if only one Lincoln Cent for a specific date and Mint has the Designer's initials, then all of the other Lincoln Cents for that specific date and Mint that do not have the Designer's initials are Error coins. Why that some are designated Varieties in the CherryPicker's Guide is beyond me and beyond most Collectors and Coin Experts as the reason that the Designer's initials are missing is due to grease or debris clogging the Dies or due to over-polishing, over-grinding or other abrasion to the Dies during repairs and therefore, none of these constitute a planned Die modification or change by the Mints which would make them a Variety.

While in the past, some of these Error coins and so-called Variety coins have sold for significant premiums, the prices they fetch and interest in them has dropped significantly as collectors and wanna-be collectors have wised up to what the coins actually are. However, even though prices and interest in these Error coins has dropped significantly over the years, one can still get a nice premium for most of these and get prices well above the $0.01 that Pocket Change Searchers have invested in them!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Duzzitmatterhuh

Sep 2, 2015
Washington state
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok first I would like to introduce Mxh to 2 BRAND NEW words. The first is called "typo" and the 2nd word is, "honestly, does it REALLY matter how many I have when the ONLY thing I want to know is value?" OK more than 1 word there. Thanks arybody and my apologies, I thought this was coin room

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread