Upvote 0

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that sure is a lot of work for a little yield. Do you think it really makes a difference which bank you go to if you order the halves? The reason why I ask is that a friend of mine started CRH about a month ago and has never gotten anything but dirty hands. I have been lucky enough to average 8-10 for every 3 boxes (that is how much I do a week). He thinks he is ordering from the wrong bank, but that seems unlikely as it really seems like luck to me. What is your opinion? Fellow readers?...Brad

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that sure is a lot of work for a little yield. Do you think it really makes a difference which bank you go to if you order the halves? The reason why I ask is that a friend of mine started CRH about a month ago and has never gotten anything but dirty hands. I have been lucky enough to average 8-10 for every 3 boxes (that is how much I do a week). He thinks he is ordering from the wrong bank, but that seems unlikely as it really seems like luck to me. What is your opinion? Fellow readers?...Brad

It really makes no difference where you order from. Its all about the right time and place. Doing volume only provides a better chance of hitting it at the right time and place. The AG you find in boxes only gets there when someone dumps it at the bank and the bank then ships it off to the couriers at which point its mixed in with the masses of clad and rerolled.

The amount you find, if any, depends on if the banks contracted with that courier are receiving AG from their clients, dodged sniping tellers, have been lucky enough for other CRHs in the area to have not picked them clean soon after, and finally are able to accumulate enough to qualify for pickup ($500-$1000 worth for halves).

After understanding that, you can see why many of us can have, and will tell stories about, having over 100 box skunk streaks...

This hobby is not for the impatient or the get rich quick (or at all) types. A minimum wage job will make you a millionaire faster than CRH. Always :laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Greastart

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think it really makes a difference which bank you go to if you order the halves? What is your opinion? Fellow readers?...Brad

I believe everything statch says is correct with one exception.

I travel to two states for our business. The few banks in our small town are all served by the same carrier from the same location. (Loomis Only) However, when I go to our other location in another state, there are many banks and those seem to be served by different couriers. (Brinks and Loomis) So by ordering boxes in different locations I believe I will increase my odds at least a little. I see MANY of the coins I used to mark back when I thought it was a smart thing to do.

The most important thing about changing my game is visiting as many different banks etc as possible during my travels. So far this hasn't paid any dividends, but I'm just getting started trying to develop some relationships with new banks. So when I said I gotta find a new place to hunt, I really should have said I gotta find a new WAY to hunt. Boxes just aren't doing anything for me right now.

I'm less than 10 oz shy of my goal for the year.

One more point in which statch is spot on. This hobby is not a get rich at all plan. I'd have made a lot more money if I had gone out and got a pizza delivery job!!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I have been getting 2 boxes per week for the past 7 months with only missing 2 weeks in that time.The teller was on vacation. Silver has been slower to find lately, but I can pull 17-24 out of two boxes and then find zip for weeks after. Last set of boxes had 11 good coins, so I expect to find zip for the next few weeks, but that is OK. Just made a trip to Michigan last week and while there hit many banks asking for halves. Got $410 in rolls, found 2 1964 coins. I just keep hunting and feel lucky when I pick up silver. Don't give up!!

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right Greastart. By ordering from multiple carriers you are increasing your odds as you are now apart of more than one 'pool' of coin cycling.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Today picked up my 2 boxes and just like that, one box gave 1 40% and the other gave 1 90% and 17 40% along with 6 'S' coins that I keep. Plus I found but put back into the boxes 8 new 2015 minted coins. So now I'm prepared to end up with skunk boxes for the next few I get.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread