Just missed a major score - or did I?

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I had the day off yesterday, so I stopped by a part of town I rarely get to anymore, since my job relocated me across town. This particular area has two banks right next to each other. One is where I used to frequently score silver dimes, and the other is the only dump bank in town that lets me dump bags of halves.

I stopped by the dump bank first, and dropped off $1,000 in halves to be counted and deposited to my account later in the week. As I walked in, I saw the teller moving bags of coin from behind the teller’s cage into the vault. She remarked that she just got done processing several bags of coins, and was well prepared to take my two bags. We got to talking, and she mentioned that an elderly grandmother had her grandson help her take in rolls and rolls of coins, that she had saved for years. In fact, the teller mentioned that the old lady said it took her two weeks to roll them all. The teller had just finished emptying the rolls into the coin lock bags, and was getting ready to send them off with the armored car service on Wednesday. I remarked how I wished I had gotten there right after the old lady left, so I could have bought the rolls and saved her the trouble.

After finishing my dumps, I walked across the parking lot to the other bank and picked up dimes, nickels, and quarters – no halves were available. Started to drive home, and as usual, cracked open a few dime rolls while waiting at the traffic signal. First thing I see is a white rim – a nice looking 1938-S Mercury dime! I was less than a mile away, so I pulled a U-turn and headed back to the bank to buy up all they had, when I realized I had no more money on me. I decided to go back to my dump bank and pull out some cash, when the thought occurred to me – maybe this is a sign. Once I got there, I told the teller that I needed cash, and asked if there was any way I could purchase the bags that the old lady dropped off. The teller didn’t think so, but sent an email to her manager to ask if she could. She did sell me the rolls of quarters and nickels that she knew came from the old lady, but never got an answer from the manager, so I left mostly empty handed. I did leave her my card, and asked her to please give me a call if a similar circumstance arose.

Walked back across the parking lot, and picked up the rest of the dimes, plus $200 in quarters for good measure. Unfortunately, I was too busy the rest of the day and last night to look through any of the coins from either bank.

This morning I got a call from the teller of my dump bank. She said that she finally heard back from her manager, who said that if I was willing to withdraw the money from my account, they would sell me the bags the old lady dropped off! I asked her how much it was, and she replied that she had $500 in quarters, $250 in dimes, $100 in nickels, and $100 in mostly old-looking pennies!

No telling how long it’s going to take me to go through them all, especially the pennies, but I told her I’d be there this afternoon and take them all. Will update as time permits. Wish me luck!

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck!

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Those numbers are oddly exact. I don't think you'll find much other than a lot of clad and copper cents. Nevertheless, be interesting to see how it turns out.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
Those numbers are oddly exact. I don't think you'll find much other than a lot of clad and copper cents. Nevertheless, be interesting to see how it turns out.

Harshin' his mojo:dontknow:

Last edited:

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll wish you some oddly exact good luck! Good Luck!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

They're oddly exact because the teller filled the bags with the rolls that were brought in, and kept the remaining rolls. As I mentioned, she sold me the rolls that didn't fit in the bag. Per their policy, they have to send out full bags, not partial.

I'm hopefully optimistic. The tellers here are unaware of silver, as I had often found silver dimes there before they became a dump bank exclusively.

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Well, I saw the Brinks guy leaving as I pulled up, which did not put me at ease. When I went inside I heard coins being poured from bag to bag; they were swapping out the bags since the originals had the old lady's account number on them. Wrote s check for $950, when the manager came out and gave me the bad news. Sure enough, they gave the wrong quarter bag to Brinks, so I only got a dime bag, a nickel, and 2 $50 cent bags. Even worse, when I went through the quarter rolls from the old lady, none of the quarters was newer than the 90's. *sigh*

Out of the $250 dime bag, I got a 5 pence piece and a lone 1955 Rosie. The good news is that I found a 1964 Rosie in the $100 of dimes I got from going back to the other bank, plus the 38-S Merc I found the other day.

Gonna take awhile before I have time to go through the nickels. What I saw didn't fill me with enthusiasm. I dug out a few handfuls of cents from the bag. I'd guess about 30% copper, plus I've seen several wheats already.

Thanks for the responses. Not the manor score I hoped for, but I'll take it. I'll update if I find anything spectacular, but it'll be awhile.

It's still out there, you just have to find it.

FT

statch

Jan 4, 2013
FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Other
Formerteller, you just never know how those types of scenarios will play out. Sometimes is may be amazing, other times it may be a total waste. Just keep at it and always chase those old ladies down for their coins!

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FT, like statch stated, you just never know what's going to be in those "some old lady just dropped her change collection off" deposits. Fortunately you were able to buy the bags to see. One of these times you'll probably score big. I've seen posts on here of mega silver hauls found this way. Keep at it, like you said, it's still out there!

OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
UPDATE

No dice on the nickels. A bunch from the 40's and 50's, but no silver and nothing earlier.

Finished one of the $50 penny bags. Ended up with 26.24% copper, and 25 wheats, the oldest being 1920 in VG-F condition. Also 8 dimes, but I haven't dumped the zinc yet, so I don't know if the bag was short. Don't plan on working the other bag till probably after Christmas. Still, it was well worth the chance.

Happy Hunting!

FT

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread