mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a 63 in my last box. They're out there but quarters are tough. Try dimes.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quarters are rough, even CWR's tend to be clad and short to add to the insult.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a 30 box skunk streak with quarters. When should I quit? I used to find a silver every 3 boxes--not anymore--and that seems a long time ago.
I'm thinking Loomis has a new sorting machine that is filtering out the silver...or something else is going on. Don't know. Any feedback? Thanks. 7up

The true answer to this question will be somewhat unique to every CRHer. You should quit CRH (or any other activity) when you are no longer getting the desired effect from said activity. If you're doing this strictly for "profit", but are losing money, then you should quit. If you are doing this strictly for fun, but not having any fun, then you should quit. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle. Its a judgement call that cannot be answered by anyone other than yourself.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you should quit as soon as you start asking the question "should I quit?". I never realized that people searched quarters exclusively. Quarters in my opinion are the denomination least likely to produce silver. I have had decent luck finding silver doing dimes.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd try dimes or halves. I've done better with dimes, like 1 silver per box, which is why I stopped last year.....

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area loomis halves are terrible.99.9% of loomis halves are skunks. I have searched tons and two other hunters I know have never found a silver half in a loomis box. Quarters and dimes on the other hand
Produce silver pretty consistently. Just a weird hobby

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
They do. But, it's top secret, shhhhh!

I made a posting over a year ago; Cummings Office Machines has developed a new modern coin sorter that can extract SILVER COINS at the turn of a switch. I can say this cuz a friend of mine works for Cummings as a field service tech and has told me that this will be the machine of the future. Whether or not banks & or coin vendors want to buy or lease is the cost factor. If this ever does happen, then all possible AG coins will be siphoned off the open market never to be seen by us CRH's again. Yes we will still see some out there, but with this technology it's going to drain down the open market considerably. Sooner or later all banks & coin vendors will see the benefit of having a machine of this type, like it's not going to cause another step on the sorting cycle, but just a matter of emptying the SILVER REJECT BIN more often.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I made a posting over a year ago; Cummings Office Machines has developed a new modern coin sorter that can extract SILVER COINS at the turn of a switch. I can say this cuz a friend of mine works for Cummings as a field service tech and has told me that this will be the machine of the future. Whether or not banks & or coin vendors want to buy or lease is the cost factor. If this ever does happen, then all possible AG coins will be siphoned off the open market never to be seen by us CRH's again. Yes we will still see some out there, but with this technology it's going to drain down the open market considerably. Sooner or later all banks & coin vendors will see the benefit of having a machine of this type, like it's not going to cause another step on the sorting cycle, but just a matter of emptying the SILVER REJECT BIN more often.
Machines that sort silver (counterfeit) coins. They've been around for a long time. Coinstar for example, rejects (sorts) silver. Even a Ryedale can be calibrated to kick out silver. Nothing new.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In my area loomis halves are terrible.99.9% of loomis halves are skunks. I have searched tons and two other hunters I know have never found a silver half in a loomis box. Quarters and dimes on the other hand
Produce silver pretty consistently. Just a weird hobby

I've searched 9 Loomis Halves boxes and found only 2 40%ers--both in the same box. I gave up on the halves because they seemed harder to ask for--you get some disapproving looks or comments. I decided it wasn't worth the effort.

OP
OP

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Machines that sort silver (counterfeit) coins. They've been around for a long time. Coinstar for example, rejects (sorts) silver. Even a Ryedale can be calibrated to kick out silver. Nothing new.

I've never found a silver quarter in a Coinstar.....I can only imagine---it would be pretty cool to find one....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread