Whats your experience with Loomis rolls? Good or Bad?

Nov 24, 2015
Lake Tahoe, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im new to the forum and what to spark some old conversion about Loomis. I purchased $200 worth of halves today and got skunked. This is not the only time i have been skunked by Loomis and probably not the last. Im new to CRH but my history with Loomis is produced zero silver. I have read a lot of forums about how Loomis culls silver but I have found no hard facts about it. My personal experience has been bad with 100% strike outs on Yellow Loomis rolls and Im wondering what others are finding in there hunt. I know its too early in the game to give up and its all part of the hunt but I hope Im wrong in thinking that Loomis rolls are all skunk. Oh yeah..... I got skunked on a Loomis penny box on Monday! what is that about? just bad luck? I opened it up and every roll was 2015. Maybe its just not my week, oh well happy hunting anyways.:headbang:

Upvote 0

Sfynks870

Oct 16, 2015
N.E. Louisiana
Primary Interest:
Other
I personally had one of my best scores last week with Loomis rolls. So, if they have a silver culling machine.... they don't have it in my area :D

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Different banks use different carriers in different locations; you can only use local results as a guide.

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I just think that it isn't your week for the pennies. For halves though, try a few more boxes and assume loomis is culling the silver. I personally have brinks in my area and I usually get at least 1 silver per box.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loomis is the only game in town in my area. I didn't find tons of silver, but I didn't have any abnormally long skunk streaks either...maybe 10-12 boxes 2 or 3 times.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
All carriers are beginning to look the same as far as SKUNKY. I do dimes both with Loomis, Garda, & Brinks; they are all running about the same. Not even CWR's are generating AG in my area. Hang in there!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loomis silver is there but don't expect much. just envy the west coast--they seem to have lots of Bens & Walkers landing in boxes. my normal half supplier just moved to Dunbar--see what happens, and finally got 2 BofA branches to order halves with no stinkin' $5 box fee:-). 1st one came today

Oquario79

Sep 5, 2015
NC/SC Border
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my area we have Loomis for a few banks and it's been a mixed experience. Sometimes I find one or three silvers others times it's a bust..

OP
OP
M
Nov 24, 2015
Lake Tahoe, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the feedback people. Like I said I am still new to the hunt so not too discouraged yet but it's interesting to hear others experience. What I'm most excited about is the score that is about to come my way with all the bad luck lately it can only get better.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Why would Loomis intentionally cull silver, and not the other suppliers?
What would be their motivation?

I have found silver in their boxes but not like I do Brinks, every Brinks box of halves I've searched has been good.

Brinks dime boxes otoh, have been terrible in the past.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only bought pennies from a Loomis bank, and they have all been terrible. Probably >1% copper, no wheaties, and the coins are generally in terrible shape. I'm fairly convinced that the Loomis center in my area is culling copper. As for the full box of 2015s, it happens with any brand. That's how new coins show up to the bank.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my experience Loomis has not been very productive, but I've had a lot of luck with Dunbar. I personally think it is just a matter of luck and volume though. I don't have any control on which supplier supplies the bank I go to. I just started getting Loomis halves last week again and I wasn't skunked, but Dunbar has always been better for me...Brad

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only bought pennies from a Loomis bank, and they have all been terrible. Probably >1% copper, no wheaties, and the coins are generally in terrible shape. I'm fairly convinced that the Loomis center in my area is culling copper. As for the full box of 2015s, it happens with any brand. That's how new coins show up to the bank.
I am very interested to know why you think Loomis is culling copper, when the melt value is only 1.4 cents per coin. And those coins can't legally be melted.

Graciegirl

Jun 5, 2014
Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I've only had one Loomis box, and it had 3 40%. I have a six box skunk streak with my credit union supplying boxes. I know they dont use Loomis, but i don't know who they get them from.

Pete_Iredale

Jul 1, 2015
SW Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because you can legally sell them, even if you can't melt them, and there are buyers out there. Remember, the price was close to 3¢ in the recent past. Many people think it will go up again. The real question is, why wouldn't you pull the copper if it was easy? And like I said, I get less than 1% copper from their boxes, while I get at least 10% from my normal pickup bank, and 15-20% from customer returned rolls. Unless I've just been incredibly unlucky on the 4 (I think) boxes of Loomis pennies I've sorted, something doesn't add up.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Because you can legally sell them, even if you can't melt them, and there are buyers out there. Remember, the price was close to 3¢ in the recent past. Many people think it will go up again. The real question is, why wouldn't you pull the copper if it was easy? And like I said, I get less than 1% copper from their boxes, while I get at least 10% from my normal pickup bank, and 15-20% from customer returned rolls. Unless I've just been incredibly unlucky on the 4 (I think) boxes of Loomis pennies I've sorted, something doesn't add up.
Interesting! Thank you for your reply Pete.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread