$2K in sequential BU star notes

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Grabbed $2K in sequential star note $100's today while dumping. Not sure what to do with them but for some reason I'm glad that I got them. I remember someone selling a $50 the other for a couple bucks so maybe I'll check out eBay and see if there's a market at all. Unfortunately for $100's I'm guessing the premium isn't high enough to justify the eBay fees. Picked up two boxes today. One box had a '69-D obverse ender, the only silver in the two boxes. 2nd time in 3 weeks I've had that happen. Not outstanding but better than two skunks. Any ideas on squeezing value out of the $100's is appreciated.

Thanks, happy holidays and hopefully the holiday silver will start flowing soon.

p.s. at this same bank while dumping there's a torn up pile of 8 half dollar boxes strewn around the garbage can. Real classy....

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to my calculations you'll have to get $115.16 each for them on ebay to break even, and thats with the buyer paying 100% of the shipping. That also assumes ebay and PayPal haven't upped their fees (10% and 2.9% + $0.30 respectively) since I last looked. Anything above that would be profit.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be better off trying to sell them at a coin shop or craigslist. No fees and anything over $100 is profit.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a crisp $50* for $59.99 on 12/18. net profit of $5.55 after all fees. picked up the REDBOOK on paper notes on Friday from my LCS for $15, hope it pays for itself soon:-)

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh there is absolutely a market for any star notes, Old or new and especially in sequence. So you have 20 Notes all Star notes - All in sequence... I Bet if you were to source out an american Paper Money site for the enthusiasts... you will find a buyer. I wouldnt ever Ebay list something like this, no proffit behind with all fees and such. I say - try Rare Paper Money Collecting, Old Money, Error Notes, Rare Currency Collecting, Federal Reserve Bank Notes - Executive Currency - Browse Currency Dealers for Paper Money & Banknotes for Sale | NumisMaster or something like this and see if interested - OR a local coin and Note shop may be interested. Anything over face is proffit and it took you no effort to obtain. maybe take a small hit on overall value but again, all proffit for EASY MONEY

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless they are super low serial #s or fancy #s, you prob want get enough out of them with the fees to sell them. Just too much for a collector to buy and hold on to with such a small premium. If you had 2000 BU star $1 bills you'd have a nice score that would be quite profitable

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i sold a 20$ circulated Star note on ebay for 26.50, charging 3.5 shipping. Shipping cost was only 2.5$ so i made a profit of 2$. the note itself was not in the best of shape too.. 20 dollar star note, all it takes is the right buyer willing to pay...

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I appreciate all the info. Today I took the star notes to a LCS and got a handful of Franklins and Walkers as a premium for them. I'm sure that I didn't maximize value for them, but the convenience is hard to beat. Thanks again.

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all the info. Today I took the star notes to a LCS and got a handful of Franklins and Walkers as a premium for them. I'm sure that I didn't maximize value for them, but the convenience is hard to beat. Thanks again.

So long as you are ahead - that is all that matters. At the end of the day, you paid face value - If you got 2001$ in Bens and Franks - You are a buck ahead =P

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread