Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So because I fell for his scam its my fault? WOW

It actually is mostly your fault. You lacked a little common sense. Don't feel bad though there are a lot of people who do the same thing you did. Next time you buy something on ebay make sure you do a little research. I once thought about doing the exact same thing you did and buy an "unsearched" roll. Before I did though I did a little research and did a Google search on "unsearched eBay rolls".

If it seems to good to be true it probably is.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought from the same seller a few months back with a similar result. The best part of the deal was the education I got. You don't need your money back. Move on, lick your wounds, and you will be a wiser man tomorrow.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Revised Feedback: 41"

I guarantee if you say you are going to leave negative feedback he offers you some type of refund or even to keep the coins for free.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feedback extortion is definitely a violation of EBAY policy

Feed back extortion is when you say "if you don't do X Y Z, I am going to leave you negative feedback." If you let the seller know you were unhappy and had decided to leave negative feedback due to the quality of the product, and weren't dumb enough to demand anything in exchange for positive feedback, based on the 42 revised feedback for this seller (which occurs when a buyer leaves bad feedback and then suddenly "changes their mind" and revises said bad feedback to something positive - usually due to the result of a refund or other compensation changing hands) chances are likely that in this particular case the OP will receive some type of compensation to make him happy and "buy" positive feedback. BTW anytime you see numerous revised feedback for a seller you should steer clear.....they are most likely doing something shady.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feedback extortion is definitely a violation of EBAY policy

BTW - You just spent $25 on $2 worth of wheat cents, falling for one of the oldest and best known scams there is on ebay...yet you feel the need to quote the ebay rule book to me when all I was trying to do was help you scrape the egg off your face?

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
No, I was just trying to say two wrongs dont make a right. I appreciate your help. I contacted him and sent pictures that were posted on page one of this post. Waiting for his reply

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, I was just trying to say two wrongs dont make a right. I appreciate your help. I contacted him and sent pictures that were posted on page one of this post. Waiting for his reply

What do you want the seller to do? Did he promise you would find something in the roll? I am just curious.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bottom line: One should bid on only the enders showing on any roll on eBay.

I bought a similar roll off eBay, but paid much more than you did based on the "enders" plus what I hoped (gambled) would be inside the roll. I received the roll and found it to be neatly hand-crimped, so I knew it was a scam. But I opened it and used the 2014 red book and several websites to carefully grade and estimate a value for each coin. I calculated I'd lost between $100 and $150 on the deal. I sucked it up and owned the fact it was my choice to bid on such a roll. In the positive feedback for the seller I noted one should bid on the visible coins as a reminder to future bidders given the seller was selling multiple rolls at the time...buyer beware (and be realistic with your expectations!)

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
My take on this entire situation is that these people should not be allowed to sell on EBAY and if they are members here, they should be kicked off the site.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take on this entire situation is that these people should not be allowed to sell on EBAY and if they are members here, they should be kicked off the site.

You gambled and lost. Suck it up and stop whining about it! There is an old saying; "A fool and his money are soon parted." If it's not lost to an ebay scam, they will find a different way to lose it.

kawika18

Aug 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll add my 2 cents if I may. First, look a bit closer at the coin in the middle pic. The wear on that coin looks like the wear of a coin the has been in circulation for many decades. Yet, the seller referred to the rolls as OBW which I assume means Original Bank Wrapped. Implying that these coins have been in the roll since when? The 1930s? If that is the case then this appears to be blatant fraud on the part of the seller. Maybe I am wrong, but that's the way I see it.

For those of you wanting to lay blame on the buyer, you can hardly blame him when someone goes to such lengths to mislead people. About 12 years ago I saw a guy selling "St. Gaudens Gold" on ebay. He had a picture of a St. Gaudens Double Eagle and even had a screen name of "stgaudens" with some random numbers after it. He had 60-70 coins he was offering in a dutch auction and the price was so low I couldn't resist. Like they say though, if it's too good to be true, it is. So I only bid on one even though I was tempted to bid on many more. I knew full well it was a gamble but i was still pretty disappointed when my coin arrived and it was a $5 gold eagle (just 1/10 ounce of gold), and NOT a St. Gaudens double eagle as was pictured in the listing. What really made me irate though was that when I contacted the seller about it, he pleaded ignorance. He said he was no coin expert and didn't know the difference between the two. Sure buddy, not with a screen name like that. Not to mention the picture. He knew exactly what he was doing. Yes, the buyer should beware, but don't blame the buyer. Blame the scumbags that set out to fool, swindle and defraud unsuspecting consumers.

Last edited:

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
If you want to give negative feedback without giving negative feedback, you can. Just give him a neutral feedback but write in negative comments. I used to sell individual uncirculated half dollars years back for pennies on the dollar on Feebay. I had nothing but positive reviews when someone bought a coin and claimed he never got it. So I issued a prompt refund and had to eat the loss of the coin since I mailed it. I was furious when the buyer gave a neutral feedback with negative comments. The buyer said I gave a refund but claimed I choose to keep the coin. The coin was sold for very little profit and I mailed it off. There was no reason I would keep the coin. I was furious and spent an hour with the Feebay Indian representative and their so called supervisor (shocker that they had contracted phone staff from India). They would not take back the so-called neutral feedback with negative comment. I swore I wanted to take Feebay to small claims court but ultimately I decided not to since it was a hassle of my time and over an item that sold for a few dollars. The only reason I wanted to take Feebay to small claims court was because they would literally have to pay for a legal representative which was what I wanted them to do and waste their money. Ultimately for me, it wasn't worth the time for an item that sold for a few dollars. Since that time, I have never sold an item on Feebay ever again since I felt the buyer's untrue comment damaged my reputation as a seller on Feebay and Feebay did nothing to protect me. Call me a perfectionist but it was the only neutral feedback I've ever received on Feebay.

Feebay sucks for sellers so if you want to get back at the seller, that's how you can by giving a negative comment in the neutral feedback box. In this case, it would be appropriate to write in a negative neutral feedback comment.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
He has sold 249 of them.

Looks like he has a good business going! At about the most, the roll is worth $2.00, so that's $23 profit for each roll - depending on shipping costs of course.

Since he's sold 249 rolls, that's $5,727.00 profit.....

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like he has a good business going! At about the most, the roll is worth $2.00, so that's $23 profit for each roll - depending on shipping costs of course.

Since he's sold 249 rolls, that's $5,727.00 profit.....

Plus all the Ebay and paypal fees he is paying. He is still making a healthy profit though. I think between eBay and paypal you pay like 17% in fees.

A side note to those who only blame the seller. Is the seller a shady character? Yes. Is it an obvious money grab? Yes. Does the buyer share in the blame? YES!!! It is your money, before you go and spend it you need to do your due diligence. All it would take is for the buyer to do a google search on "Unsearched rolls on Ebay" and he would have easily realized that buying the roll was a bad idea. Especially for $25. I could see maybe spending a few bucks on that listing, but for $25 you have to be super gullible. I hope the buyer learned a lesson and will do his research before buying anything on eBay.

OP
OP
G

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Im getting my money back and went through the roll. As for joe uncools comments well...as a charter member, your comment was very rude and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im getting my money back and went through the roll. As for joe uncools comments well...as a charter member, your comment was very rude and unnecessary.

Truth hurts sometimes. The proverb wasnt directed at you but was a response to your statement that these sellers should be kicked off ebay. They only exist because the buyers of these rolls allow them to exist. You need to accept some blame and stop playing the victim.

Last edited:

mrogers07

Sep 6, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

He made a good point, though. You live and learn. You did get scammed. As he said, you have to suck it up and move on.

You need to accept some blame and stop playing the victim.

Basically.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread