Search boxes or buy silver?

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd buy silver. The finds haven't really increased but the price has dropped lower, so the return isn't that much

scottw

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last 28 boxes have brought in 5 40%'ers and 1 90.
I am really considering giving it a rest, and start stacking silver rounds.
I am by no means well off, and do 2 boxes per week. I have to dump the first one to pick up the second.
Needless to say, any count error or loss would be disastrous.
If I ever would luck into a dream box I would have to sell half to keep going!

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I'm buying more than I'm searching, due to a combination of low finds, price, and lack of time. However, I buy primarily 90%'s rather than rounds. I did find a coin shop that sells the occasional impaired (i.e. - not BU) ASE for the price of a round.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
I do both. I buy one ounce a week. It is easy and who misses a 20 out of the wallet once a week? Avoid buying lunch twice a week and the silver is paid for. I search nickels, dimes, and halves because I enjoy it. Any silver I find is just a bonus to me.

OP
OP
TimZim

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a great plan!! I do miss the big ## 60 boxes was just right. I like halfs silver is what I look for. I have 85 lbs of copper big waste of time. I sold a lot of silver to get my gtr I have replaced a lot of it. I sold my gold to in the $1400 area.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do both. I buy one ounce a week. It is easy and who misses a 20 out of the wallet once a week? Avoid buying lunch twice a week and the silver is paid for. I search nickels, dimes, and halves because I enjoy it. Any silver I find is just a bonus to me.

Sounds cool, except I hope yer not paying $20/oz right now.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only search. I still don't like paying more then face for silver.

retire05

Feb 16, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 350, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My last 28 boxes have brought in 5 40%'ers and 1 90.
I am really considering giving it a rest, and start stacking silver rounds.
I am by no means well off, and do 2 boxes per week. I have to dump the first one to pick up the second.
Needless to say, any count error or loss would be disastrous.
If I ever would luck into a dream box I would have to sell half to keep going!
That s exactly what I did. I was lucky enough to get a dream box last year. I sold about half of it; bought an AT PRO free and clear. Gotta love a hobby that pays for itself in one way or another...Brad

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I've decided why buy now, when the cost keeps going lower?

As much as I love the hobby, roll hunting silver, it's still cheaper for me to buy it.

Last edited:

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I've decided why buy now, when the cost keeps going lower?

As much as I love the hobby, roll hunting silver, it's still cheaper for me to buy it.

Or have your significant other bring it home for your from work right Fist :tongue3:. HH, Maverick.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I only search. I still don't like paying more then face for silver.

Me too, but I can really only afford to search, if I went and bought it I would end up using up my CRHing bankroll and the hobby would end for me. HH, Maverick.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When silver gets down to like $3.50/oz and the dealers sell 40s for 55c then I'll start buying silver. Until then, I'll just get them at face.

iammoleman2

Oct 30, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
What? $20 an ounce isn't a good deal?:icon_scratch: That was more of a general statement indicating that a few dollars here and there is no big deal. I pay spot plus $1 - $1.75 and a fast food lunch is $9+ anymore.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to buy a little silver every now and then. My goal has been to accumulate a 100 plus oz every year for the stash, I only find between 20 and 30 oz a year so I need to make up the difference to stay on track.

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty much gave up searching a year or two ago, amazing how much more free time you have. At 13-14 an oz it to big of a pain to be driving around in the cold here.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For over six years I purchase rows of quarters for laundry machines and never found silver or coins worth more then face value. Good searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread