Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

My name is Ryan and I make videos on YouTube. Recently, I have become very interested in this coin roll hunting hobby and I decided to make a video about my first time coin roll hunting. I would love it if you guys would check out my video! Since it's my very first time doing this, I would love it if you all could leave some tips in the comments section. If you like the video and you have a YouTube channel, go ahead and like the video and subscribe if you want to (: I'm hoping to make more coin roll hunting videos in the future; it's so much fun!

Here's the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSvmbVuo9Y

Thank you all!

-Ryan

Upvote 0

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to break it to everyone here that YouTube is full of CRH videos. I don't think if this kid makes a few CRH videos that it is going to make any difference at all.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rryanq

Definitely stay away from the boxes of halves - there's absolutely nothing in them & you are right - they are a TOTAL waste of time! If you want to have success, I would try quarters. That's where all the silver is.

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI - They arent called "plain" the ones with no mint mark are from the Philadelphia mint. 1942-1945 with mint mark on the back for nickels are the silver ones. on the post 1937 Jeffersons you should keep an eye out for 1938D, 1939 double die, 1939D, 1942 D over D, 1943 double eye, 1945 double die, 1949 D over S, 1950D, 1954 S over D, 1955 D over S, 1994P, 1997P. As for the question about the IKES, you most likely have clad ones. the way to figure it out is to weigh them. a part silver one will weigh about 24.59 grams while a normal clad will weigh 22.68 grams or a little less. So if you have one that weighs in at 23 grams or more, its probably silver. Hope this post helps you out and welcome to CRH, it not just for fun, its an addiction!

gmrestoparts

Mar 6, 2013
Georgia
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryan, if you have any more questions please message me and I will get back to you same day for an answer. There are a few members on here who will really "GRIND YOUR GEARS" with their reply's. Just ignore them and I am sure you will find that 99% of the folks in here will help you out more than just bust your balls for their own entertainment.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI - They arent called "plain" the ones with no mint mark are from the Philadelphia mint. 1942-1945 with mint mark on the back for nickels are the silver ones. on the post 1937 Jeffersons you should keep an eye out for 1938D, 1939 double die, 1939D, 1942 D over D, 1943 double eye, 1945 double die, 1949 D over S, 1950D, 1954 S over D, 1955 D over S, 1994P, 1997P. As for the question about the IKES, you most likely have clad ones. the way to figure it out is to weigh them. a part silver one will weigh about 24.59 grams while a normal clad will weigh 22.68 grams or a little less. So if you have one that weighs in at 23 grams or more, its probably silver. Hope this post helps you out and welcome to CRH, it not just for fun, its an addiction!

Actually it is rather common in the coin world to call a coin from the Philadelphia mint (no mint mark) "plain." Sorry if this grinds your gears, but if you correct someone you should probably actually know what you are talking about.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ryan: if you are truly going to do this video, then by ALL MEANS, concentrate on QUARTER boxes & bags. The silver rims stand out most prominately, and boxes are very plentiful to fill video filming time. Get several boxes and let us (on this forum) know your results. I myself don't subscribe to U-Tube, but enjoy reading the posts from other CRH's here on TN of their findings & SKUNKS. Good luck !!!!!

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why is everyone busting this poor guys chops? He hasn't done anything wrong. All he did was post a video on youtube about CRH. Something thousands of other people have done too. This forum is supposed to be here to help people, not feed them misinformation and make fun of them. If you want to treat this hobby as a secret society then you shouldn't even be posting on here. This website can be found just as easily as finding his youtube video.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... feed them misinformation ...
Ryan: The misinformation that mxh could be referring to is the guidance to search Quarters. There have been some reports of Quarter finds, but most on here consider hunting Quarters to be a waste of time.

The right way to CRH is the way that gives you the most joy.

- If you enjoy filling coin folders, then hunt for dates to fill holes
- If you enjoy making EweTube videos of your successes (or failures), then film away.
- If you enjoy finding silver consistently, then hunt dimes
- If you enjoy the thrill of a possible big score, then hunt halves

There are things that genuinely hurt the hobby for everyone (excessive dumping, marking coins, unreasonable demands of your bank, others). While advertising the hobby arguably impinges on those that are already established in it, it is not an exclusive club. So long as new hobbyists are respectful and responsible so be it.

If you are having a good time, you are doing it right.

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonka.jpg

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Why is everyone busting this poor guys chops? He hasn't done anything wrong. All he did was post a video on youtube about CRH. Something thousands of other people have done too. This forum is supposed to be here to help people, not feed them misinformation and make fun of them. If you want to treat this hobby as a secret society then you shouldn't even be posting on here. This website can be found just as easily as finding his youtube video.

Just to be clear I never busted his chops or made fun of him in case anyone felt that I did., I merely tried to point out the problems that could arise from posting YouTube videos about his hobby. Yes there are quite a few people on YouTube now that are posting coin roll hunting videos, I wouldn't say it is in the thousands yet, "yet", but it is getting on its way to being there. 5 years ago when I started doing this there were hardly any coin roll hunting videos on YouTube , again I found out about coin roll hunting by "accident" not even looking for it on YouTube ( explained in my earlier post), I had never even heard of such a thing before I found a video by "mistake" and Here I am almost 6 years later still coin roll hunting hard and heavy. Nobody would find this website unless they are currently interested in coins already and if they are interested in coins already they most likely already know about coin roll hunting, but there are those out there like me who have never heard of it and never even thought of such a thing but once are exposed to it would start going at it just like I have and would be the next guy showing up at your bank ordering right alongside you and then bringing their dumps back there or worse. I will stand behind my opinion still of it being a very bad idea to post coin roll hunting videos on YouTube, if I found a terrific way of making money be it whatever it is it would be very foolish of me to go and post it on YouTube wouldn't it? Now granted the original poster's intent is not to make money from doing this it is just simply a hobby for him, but there are others that post on YouTube that is more than just a hobby for them and I have no idea why they would post videos as they're only damaging themselves in the long run as more and more people watch their videos and decide to start doing the hobby themselves.

I guess the simple point is that I'm trying to make is that no, you cannot find this website just as easily as you can is video on YouTube, again I am case and point, I had never heard of this website or of coin roll hunting but found out by mistake by finding a video on YouTube that I wasn't even looking for. The reason that I post here is because this is kind of a secret society because only people who are involved in coins and coin collecting would find this site. HH,Maverick.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be clear I never busted his chops or made fun of him in case anyone felt that I did., I merely tried to point out the problems that could arise from posting YouTube videos about his hobby. Yes there are quite a few people on YouTube now that are posting coin roll hunting videos, I wouldn't say it is in the thousands yet, "yet", but it is getting on its way to being there. 5 years ago when I started doing this there were hardly any coin roll hunting videos on YouTube , again I found out about coin roll hunting by "accident" not even looking for it on YouTube ( explained in my earlier post), I had never even heard of such a thing before I found a video by "mistake" and Here I am almost 6 years later still coin roll hunting hard and heavy. Nobody would find this website unless they are currently interested in coins already and if they are interested in coins already they most likely already know about coin roll hunting, but there are those out there like me who have never heard of it and never even thought of such a thing but once are exposed to it would start going at it just like I have and would be the next guy showing up at your bank ordering right alongside you and then bringing their dumps back there or worse. I will stand behind my opinion still of it being a very bad idea to post coin roll hunting videos on YouTube, if I found a terrific way of making money be it whatever it is it would be very foolish of me to go and post it on YouTube wouldn't it? Now granted the original poster's intent is not to make money from doing this it is just simply a hobby for him, but there are others that post on YouTube that is more than just a hobby for them and I have no idea why they would post videos as they're only damaging themselves in the long run as more and more people watch their videos and decide to start doing the hobby themselves.

I guess the simple point is that I'm trying to make is that no, you cannot find this website just as easily as you can is video on YouTube, again I am case and point, I had never heard of this website or of coin roll hunting but found out by mistake by finding a video on YouTube that I wasn't even looking for. The reason that I post here is because this is kind of a secret society because only people who are involved in coins and coin collecting would find this site. HH,Maverick.

While it probably is easier to find out about CRH on youtube. I actually found out about it through this website. I was searching get for metal detecting forums and one day I was just reading other forums on here and found the coin roll hunting one. The day I read the forum and the Beginners sticky is the day I got my first rolls to search.

If somebody is interested in coins, they are in one way or the other going to find out about CRH. It be by watching a YouTube video, or by searching about a coin they have on the internet and finding treasurenet.com or some other website or story on CRH. There have plenty of news stories and articles written about CRH as well.

Instead of telling the kid not to post youtube videos maybe we can educate him on how to properly coin roll hunt. Then he can turn around and post those tips on his videos so he can educate other new CRH who happen to just watch his video.

I get your point of view though. I don't want somebody else to score my dream box or solid rolls. I would be mad if it happened right in front of me. But I choose to not worry about the stuff I can't control. If it's meant to be for me to find the solid roll then it's meant too be.

zach attack

Jul 10, 2014
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been a coin collector nearly my whole life (note im 17 years old). Finding out about coin roll hunting about 3 years ago while seeing it on youtube. Not all coin collectors know about coin roll hunting. I find it silly how everyone is up in arms about exposing coin roll hunting. Eventually silver will run out, but other coins will become valuable in the future for coin hunters to find. Not only youtube videos expose the hoppy but for example many parents show the hoppy to their children as I have seen in many forums. Any how, hope everyone can understand that one youtube video will not end your crh careers. "The internet is not meant for secrets". HH and have a great day. Zach

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it probably is easier to find out about CRH on youtube. I actually found out about it through this website. I was searching get for metal detecting forums and one day I was just reading other forums on here and found the coin roll hunting one...

Same here, pretty much. I had a Great Uncle that roll hunted back when new coins were still made of silver. I knew about that, but had no inkling whatsoever that Bens and Walkers could be found until I stumbled onto this site and read about Rich Hartford finding them by the fistfull every week. That is what got me started.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread