diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here ya go,straight from the U.S.Treasury Dept.-I've put the last and most important and pertinent statement in bold type.

Is it illegal to damage or deface coins?

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage:however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think about it,if it was "illegal" then companies wouldn't be able to sell painted quarters and silver eagles and gold plated Kennedy halves etc. etc.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Here ya go,straight from the U.S.Treasury Dept.-I've put the last and most important and pertinent statement in bold type.

Is it illegal to damage or deface coins?

Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who “fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States.” This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the U.S. Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage:however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent.

You said it better than I could. My answer would be shorter BS!! ;D

Sounds like that bank is trying to stop you from dumping coins without being the bad guys.

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I'd tell them I don't mark them, that's how I get them. If they want to know who is doing it, tell them to hire a PI.

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awhitster said:
I'd tell them I don't mark them, that's how I get them. If they want to know who is doing it, tell them to hire a PI.

Exactly. Tell them to prove that you are the one marking them. If they can't prove it, they can't deny your coins.

fiatboy

Bronze Member
Jan 28, 2007
Defacing cash is illegal, because it is legally not our money, but a debt. Defacing coins without fradulant intent is, however, perfectly legal.

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a claim from someone who only thinks they know the law.

For example, I don't see the gov't tracking down people who stamp dollar bills with "wheresgeorge.com" eventhough they probably have registered their name on the webiste and listed which bills they altered.

I'd agree, completely BS.

Was it a teller who told you this or a manager?

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
lol.... next time you walk in that bank tell that same guy that you defaced some coins... then show them that last line when you ask for 2 one dollar bills for your roll of "hobo nickels"....... whats he gonna do?!!...lol

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
What is your "mark"? If you are drawing a big black X on each coin with a fat magic marker I can see them making a fuss. If you put a dot or small line somewhere on the face or mark a line on the edges I don't think that is a problem. Worst case, just stop marking them. Why get the bank mad at you? We need friends at banks, not more enemies. It might be BS, but why escalate. You can always try to educate them, in a kind way, but many times it is easier just to give in.

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with at1, why buck their system? You may win the argument in the end but you may lose a dump bank because they can just tell you they don't want to deal with you anymore.

MalteseFalcon

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2005
That is just more teller BS from a lazy teller. It is not "management" saying this. I doubt a bank manager would be that stupid.

But then, stranger things have happened lol.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread