Weird blob on this half

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I was just going through some half dollars I bought and noticed this on the back of a '53 Ben.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks and happy hunting,

Jay half1.jpg half2.jpg half3.jpg

Upvote 0

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe solder. Someone might have had it in jewelry or made a pin out of it at one time. That's just an off the wall guess. really have no clue!:laughing7:

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett AT Pro, 5x8 DD, 15" NEL Attack, Garrett Pro-pointer, Pro Series 5x9 sand scoop, 30" Royal Compact sluice, 36" Bazooka Gold Trap, Gold Cube.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do think it is part of the coin itself. Extra metal. It even looks like there is some sort of stamping on it.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do think it is part of the coin itself. Extra metal. It even looks like there is some sort of stamping on it.

I see what your saying after looking again. There is just some reason I think I've seen this type of thing before and I can't quite remember. :dontknow:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After looking at you pics a few times I've come to the conclusion what you're seeing isn't metal at all! In fact, it's clear. It's glue. Extra metal would have been pushed to the outer edge of the coin. Now before you say no, either try to pick at the edge or soak it in acetone. We've seen this many times on the forum.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the picture of the obverse, as requested. Also, here is a picture of the back again. Picked at it in case it was glue. Nothing happened. I did not use acetone though because I do not have any. I did a quick cleaning of the reverse in this picture with baking soda/water. The blob got cleaner too because it is part of the coin.

half4.jpg half5.jpg

-Jay

Liu21

Dec 14, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/BH Platinum, (Garret Pro-Pointer)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
not part of coin, if it was there shouldn't be what appears to be a seam between the coin and blob. try to get a angled picture from the coin laying flat.

OP
OP
The Aluminum Monster

The Aluminum Monster

Mar 18, 2015
New Bedford, MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not part of coin, if it was there shouldn't be what appears to be a seam between the coin and blob. try to get a angled picture from the coin laying flat.

I guess what I mean by "part of the coin" is that it appears to be the same material as the coin. It doesn't appear to be a different metal.

half6.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And a glob of clear glue will refract the light, giving it the appearance of being the same color of the coin.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see the outline of the bell through the blob, thus meaning it's clear.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have to agree with enamel7 on this one. At a glance, it appeared to be a bad solder job. I discounted that after blowing up the image a bit and noticing an image partly pressed into the "blob". It appears to be an impression of letters, although a bit worn for me to make out with my trifocals.

That, and the obvious seam puts my opinion firmly toward glue of some other foreign matter making it onto the coin. If the glue is even half as old as the coin, a little picking with a fingernail or a toothpick will likely do nothing. A day or two soak in acetone should soften whatever it is sufficient for removal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread