Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1

    Aug 2005
    1,305
    59 times

    Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    I ordered 2 boxes this week instead of the usual one.

    Nothing.

    Both were skunks. I did not even bother to go through looking at the dates.
    I just rolled them back up, and am going to dump them today.

  2. #2
    us
    Jan 2007
    sidney montana
    Ace 250
    225
    1 times

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    always check dates!! I have gotten several 40% that show copper on the side (look clad, somewhat) and you will miss all the S mints.
    selling Ryedale sorted cents
    $100< fv 1.6EA
    $100> fv 1.5EA
    pick up 1.4EA
    located MT/ND boarder.
    coins are sorted with Ryedale then hand sorted to remove foreign then ran through Ryedale again to insure only copper and count $50fv Then sealed in cloth bag with #1 copper wire.

  3. #3
    us
    May 2005
    Northern California
    8,312
    2992 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Banking off a Northeast wind, sailin' on a summer breeze

  4. #4

    Mar 2007
    Ga.
    263

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by MalteseFalcon
    I ordered 2 boxes this week instead of the usual one.

    Nothing.

    Both were skunks. I did not even bother to go through looking at the dates.
    I just rolled them back up, and am going to dump them today.
    I know what you mean. I ordered 6 boxes this week. 2 were pretty good,
    the other 4 were skunks!. I got so pissed that I just checked the sides(I use a loupe) and re-rolled them. My question is how can boxes from the same company produce 2 good ones then 4 skunks?
    Finds so far:
    2- Barbers '09,09s
    105- Walkers
    148- Franklins
    26 - 90%  JFKs
    800 - 40%  JFKs
    11- Silver proofs
    1-1925 Stone Mtn. Com
    1-1936 Long Island Tercenntenial
    12-1987Ds &Ps
    5-commemoratives
    119-proofs
    62-Ikes
    11-Dimes

  5. #5

    May 2007
    587
    13 times

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Me three! My weekly 2 boxes turned up nothing. Two boxes of dimes though gave up 4 silver Rosies and two boxes of nickels gave up 2 silver nickels and 2 Buffaloes. I think I'll switch to other denominations temporarily. Last weeks boxes only gave up 2 silvers.

    (it is just hit or miss - half of the silver dimes I have found probably came from 1/6 of the boxes)

    Brian

  6. #6
    LJ
    LJ is offline
    us
    Dec 2006
    3,469
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Sorry to hear that MF. All you can do is keep plugging.

    I got two boxes a couple of weeks ago from a different bank to try....it yielded one 40%.

    Hang in there......
    LOVE THE HISTORY AND THE MYSTERY

  7. #7

    Aug 2005
    1,305
    59 times

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by snappy
    always check dates!! I have gotten several 40% that show copper on the side (look clad, somewhat) and you will miss all the S mints.
    Yeah well here is the deal. I always tell everyone else to always check dates.

    But

    A. There would not be more than a couple of 40 percenters in that bunch, and

    B. My main focus is on silver. Clad halves with an S mint mark are not worth a heck of a lot anyway (for the most part). And I am not going to cry over missing one or 2 40 percenters. 90% halves would show up for sure when checking the edges, so I know for a fact I had none of those.

    So I don't mind just just rolling them back up for once. And I rarely have time to go through more than 1 box a week anyway. It is just once in awhile I order 2. Though for some strange reason, most of the time when I order 2 I wind up with nothing. I sure wish the Fed would ship some halves from the New Orleans or Houston branch to where I am at lol.

    I will see what happens next week. I did pretty good last week.

    Win some, don't win some ( I don't say "Lose some" because we don't really lose money with this game haha.)

  8. #8

    Mar 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    751
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart
    I know what you mean. I ordered 6 boxes this week. 2 were pretty good,
    the other 4 were skunks!. I got so pissed that I just checked the sides(I use a loupe) and re-rolled them. My question is how can boxes from the same company produce 2 good ones then 4 skunks?
    Don't say that KS. It might mean you have run the Atlanta Reserve out of silver before I've even had a chance to really get started.

    I'm sure both of you are just on the "downhill" side of a big "uplift". Keep at it.

    HH.

  9. #9
    us
    Emperor Findus Cladius

    Sep 2004
    TX
    Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
    1,812
    24 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Actually even the 90% is not a given. My last box yielded one 90%, and I did not pick it out by the edge. As with most everyone, I look at the edges first. In this particular roll, I did not see anything, so I started looking at the dates. It was about the fifth coin I looked at. I looked at the edge again and noticed that the edge and one complete side were pretty dark (toning?). It is not a big deal for me to look at the dates of a complete box, as I usually do it while watching the tube, and will go thru a box generally in an hour.

  10. #10

    Mar 2007
    Bronx, NY
    Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
    751
    6 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    I've been surprised by a few stained silvers as well once I went to date checking.

    I found two 40%'s in a load of $860 than I'm sure was searched. The staining looked exactly like a clad ring.

    HH.

  11. #11
    us
    Dec 2006
    Very Northern Left Coast
    XLT & Bigfoot
    4,441
    2017 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldius
    I've been surprised by a few stained silvers as well once I went to date checking.
    When I edge check I pull & check EVERYTHING that is not bright copper. If the rim is even the slightest bit dark I check. Then I will quickly look at every coin, not the date, just the reflection it makes from a bright light or the window. Does not matter which side is "up" I am just looking for proofs and any clad commemoratives.
    When I did yard sales I was dollardan. No yard sales where I am now.

  12. #12

    Mar 2007
    Ga.
    263

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldius
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart
    I know what you mean. I ordered 6 boxes this week. 2 were pretty good,
    the other 4 were skunks!. I got so pissed that I just checked the sides(I use a loupe) and re-rolled them. My question is how can boxes from the same company produce 2 good ones then 4 skunks?
    Don't say that KS. It might mean you have run the Atlanta Reserve out of silver before I've even had a chance to really get started.

    I'm sure both of you are just on the "downhill" side of a big "uplift". Keep at it.

    HH.
    3 weeks ago I was bank hunting and 2 banks had just received a box
    of halves from the Fed. They were new '95s. Ever since I have run into
    hundreds of '95s in the boxes that I order. In one box I found 40 keepers
    including WLs and BFs. The next box from the same bank.....skunk! That
    happened again the day after. Then yesterday my 2 boxes from the same
    source here were skunks.
    As much as I enjoy CRH. There is nothing more tedious and irritating than
    going thru a box you know is a skunk.
    Finds so far:
    2- Barbers '09,09s
    105- Walkers
    148- Franklins
    26 - 90%  JFKs
    800 - 40%  JFKs
    11- Silver proofs
    1-1925 Stone Mtn. Com
    1-1936 Long Island Tercenntenial
    12-1987Ds &Ps
    5-commemoratives
    119-proofs
    62-Ikes
    11-Dimes

  13. #13
    LJ
    LJ is offline
    us
    Dec 2006
    3,469
    15 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    I also check the edges first and pull the obvious silver.....then I pick the stack up with one hand and release them one at a time into my other hand still in a stack listening for that distinctive silver clinking sound. It takes just a few seconds to do this.
    LOVE THE HISTORY AND THE MYSTERY

  14. #14
    us
    Dec 2006
    Pacific Northwest
    Whites DFX; Minelab eTrac
    1,133
    25 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (2)

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldius
    Quote Originally Posted by kickstart
    I know what you mean. I ordered 6 boxes this week. 2 were pretty good,
    the other 4 were skunks!. I got so pissed that I just checked the sides(I use a loupe) and re-rolled them. My question is how can boxes from the same company produce 2 good ones then 4 skunks?
    Don't say that KS. It might mean you have run the Atlanta Reserve out of silver before I've even had a chance to really get started.

    I'm sure both of you are just on the "downhill" side of a big "uplift". Keep at it.

    HH.
    3 weeks ago I was bank hunting and 2 banks had just received a box
    of halves from the Fed. They were new '95s. Ever since I have run into
    hundreds of '95s in the boxes that I order. In one box I found 40 keepers
    including WLs and BFs. The next box from the same bank.....skunk! That
    happened again the day after. Then yesterday my 2 boxes from the same
    source here were skunks.
    As much as I enjoy CRH. There is nothing more tedious and irritating than
    going thru a box you know is a skunk.

    you might want to check those 95's a bit closer. I got some 95's from the atlanta fed a few years back when they still had a public cashier. almost all of them had a die crack from the chin some going all the way to the rim. I've never seen them anywhere else.

  15. #15

    Aug 2005
    1,305
    59 times

    Re: Double Your Odor, Double Your Lack Of Fun....6/21 boxes

    On a positive note, I stopped into my favorite branch the following day to tell them to order me a single box next week. The head teller slapped a half on the counter and said is this what you want?

    I looked at it and it was a 1964 Kennedy. He also had a roll someone had turned in, and I bought that as well. No keepers in it.

    So the boxes may have been a skunk, but the week wasn't.

    And also, all the edges were serious copper. I checked them twice, once when I unwrapped them, once when I re-wrapped them.

    Trust me, if I had seen anything that looked dark or out of the ordinary I would have checked it.
    And I did, a few times. There was also a preponderance of slot machine halves in both boxes.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0