Bank cut me on! (kind of long story)

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I know it is kind of a confusing title, it is the opposite of being cut off. About 2 1/2 years ago my bank that I had been ordering 2 boxes a week started getting halves in plastic bags. This happened for about 3 weeks. Then Tanner and I were informed that we would not be able to order halves from this branch. We were told a memo came from the corporate office. (We think the teller did not like counting the rolls of halves in bags to verify $500 in coins)

Over the past few years I would tell the head teller just to check off a box of halves on her coin order sheet to see what would happen. She stuck to her guns, and would say, "the memo said they could not order halves anymore". Another branch about 2 miles away became our new pick up bank. It is close, but not as close as 2 blocks away like our original pick up bank.

After a year or so, we went over her head and asked the branch manager to look into to this for us, but he just deferred to the head teller and said they could not order halves.

Last week we went above the Branch Manager's head and called the District Manager of the bank, I told him I had an odd question. I asked him if he was aware of any reason my close branch could not order half dollar coins, while other branches nearby could. He said he knew of no reason the could not order halves. I asked him to send a memo to my branch and have it reinstate that patrons could order halves. He said he would do so.

I went to the close bank today, and asked if i could order halves. The vault teller said they had received a memo regarding ordering halve and that I could start ordering halves from their branch.:hello2:

We should be getting our first box from this branch in 2 1/2 years next week.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

Upvote 0

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Way to go! I think you went about it the right way - calmly and respectfully. No rush to judgement, and obviously you're a long time customer. Sounds like there's no hard feelings either.

[emoji106]

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like someone got their attitude adjusted---you know what rolls down hill---bring her a nice fudge brownie to soothe her squashed delusion of power. GOOD FOR YOU :--)

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Good job. Some will break your chops for going over her head but not from me. Sometimes branch managers run banks like they are there own personal piggy bank. Gotta put them in check if you know it's bs

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The key to the OP getting his order bank back is that he went about it the right way. He didn't complain or demand they order coins again for him. He simply asked a question in a non-threatening way. The only time people have a problem with going over someones head is when they do it in a threatening way or just act like the bank is required to cater to their every whim and demand.

OP
OP
gordon and tanner

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
I am at this branch about 2 or 3 days a week. I have 2 business checking accounts and my personal checking account their. I did not really want t make waves since I had an alternate branch a supplier. I figured the teller would transfer to another branch as they often seem to come and go, but she has hung on there. My wife is a nurse a big city hospital and they get contradictory memos and procedure changes all the time. I figures that this was like her work. Where eventually everyone forgets about the new way and goes back to the old way that works. I thought about calling the District Manager a year or so ago. I just finally got around to it.

Keep on Searching
Dad and Tanner

IceePirate

Aug 16, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder if this would work for my bank's local vault manager. If so then I have a phone call or two to make. :D Now to only find the phone numbers...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread