I was WRONG! Once in a lifetime score, becomes 2nd, then 3rd!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So a few years ago I ask the local teller (have an account there) for halves. She didn't have any but asked if I wanted any of the "big dollars". Thinking they were all Ikes (ugh) I said ok, Got 6 Ikes, 5 Peace and 5 Morgans. Score 1. It's a post here. In there was the key 1928.

About three weeks now, it's posted here also, go to a different branch of the same bank and asked for a couple "big dollars" to give to a buddy at my main bank. Story is here also but got $80 in halves, 11 were 1971 Kennedys and the rest, 149 were silver including 7 Barbers.

So today, on the way back from the beach on the bay, I stopped in to make a credit card payment (been real bad). Buying stuff we all like and whatever.
While she is processing the payment I ask for $10 in cents. So she had to go get them, no biggie. The teller next to her asks me if I want some OLD pennies? Old, methinks?
So I get 27 steel cents......

The first teller comes back and is getting the rolls out (several wheats, 1 clip and a 1998 wide am in those rolls). She asks if I want any halves. Do they read my freaking mind? Do they know me THAT well? I said sure, whatcha got? Only 15. To wit: 1 1964 Kennedy, 1 1893 Columbia Exposition, 1 1912S Barber, Six Walkers, two are 1945, four are 1943's and two of those have S mintmarks, 6 Franklins, 1952, 1952D, 1953 D x 2, 1958D, 1961, IMG_0725.JPG IMG_0727.JPG IMG_0730.JPG IMG_0732.JPG IMG_0726.JPG IMG_0728.JPG IMG_0729.JPG IMG_0724 (2).jpg I'm going to have to figure out how to orient the cell phone to make these look right side up. Sorry.

Upvote 0

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you think you are gonna get me to go try my hand a CRHing .....you just might be right:laughing7: Nice score from your "new banker buddies".

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know what's the matter with them. As in, hey, I've got a few hundred in silver here and don't want it. You want it? It's so dirty in my teller tray.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My bank ain't like that! I'm waiting for a teller to have a black eye or a missing chunk of hair from fighting over a silver dime.
Sampled their wares a few times and just their aura when doing so made me wonder. Customer wrapped though should miss their scrutiny ,though nothing good from any , yet.
In time I asked if they ever see any silver.....I can say they know what it is and that it trumps clad.....and nice a guy as I am ,I apparently ain't special enough.

Congrats. Sweet haul again!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get it. It's a little credit union. Maybe they are absolutely forbidden to buy coins themselves. Now at the "big" bank, the teller was really excited about the 1908 Indian Cent he just got. I bought it. He apparently didn't want it or he would have bought it himself (I asked and they are allowed to do that.) I've gotten about $1900 in silver in less than a month for $87.50.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like "the girls" might have a crush on you! :laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was girls and guys. Go figure.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Would you rather me say, "Sounds like "the guy" has a crush on you"? :laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, they were jumping up and down happy at the time. Must have been bored or something.

Greastart

Bronze Member
Dec 29, 2014
Far North Corner of CA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and a Garrett Carrot
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know what's the matter with them. As in, hey, I've got a few hundred in silver here and don't want it. You want it? It's so dirty in my teller tray.

Sometime it is best not to try to figure out what's wrong with people. Let them alone with their sickness lest you catch it yourself!

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going!!!!!! Time to bring in the treats. Congrats & persistence pays off sooner or later.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
where is it again that you live?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maryland, northern part. Way north of Baltimore. In the woods. With the cougars, bobcats, skunks, rabbits, deer and assorted nut jobs who drive across my lawn at midnight.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never been to Maryland. Been to Delaware, but not Maryland. If I ever get the chance to go. I'll make sure to drive the 4x4 truck! :laughing7:

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kcm, no trucks. The moat is now in full operation. Anyway, I asked the concierge at the credit union if the tellers were allowed to purchase coins out of their trays, and they are.

So apparently, the awful truth is they don't care about silver coins.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
My dad started sorting out older coins from change just before he passed away. Guess he was looking for any way to make the money stretch as far as possible. Unfortunately, all we found that was actually silver was 2 quarters (but 1965), 3 nickels and 2 dimes. Is strange how he figured to make money that way when he wasted so much money in other ways.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would put in application in at that bank. Then you can get all the silver that they have no idea what it is. That's insane awesome find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread