Dollar box results

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was out dumping some coins at one of my dump banks earlier and one of the tellers informed me that they had accidentally ordered a box of dollar coins and asked if I wanted to buy them. I haven't searched small dollars before but figured I would give it a shot since they are easy to get rid of and don't take up much space. The box originally contained $1,000 but people have been buying rolls from it so I ended up buying the remainder of the box which was 21 rolls, or $525 worth. I actually had fun going through the mix, here are the keepers I pulled:

1981-S Proof Susan B. Anthony dollar
2000-S Proof Sacagawea dollar
2007-S Proof Sacagawea dollar
2007-S Proof George Washington dollar
2007-S Proof Thomas Jefferson dollar

I also came across some uncirculated NIFC Susan B. Anthony dollars:
4x 1981p, 1x 1981d, 3x 1981s.

Not sure if I will keep the uncirculated NIFC dollars but the proofs are keepers.

Might have them order me a box once in a while just to mix things up a bit.
HH
Buff

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Diver_Down, nice to see you posting. I did check all for the missing edge lettering but don't have much time to check for double edge lettering. I was surprised to see so many heavily circulated presidential dollars in the mix, a lot of them appeared to have no edge lettering at a quick glance but it was just heavily worn.

Are there any specific presidents that I should look for double edge lettering?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I had gotten 4 rolls of small dollars also - same thing. All of them heavily circulated. Funny, I never even knew the presidentials existed before seeing one at the bank. The new bank teller hadn't either.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thanks Diver_Down, nice to see you posting. I did check all for the missing edge lettering but don't have much time to check for double edge lettering. I was surprised to see so many heavily circulated presidential dollars in the mix, a lot of them appeared to have no edge lettering at a quick glance but it was just heavily worn.

Are there any specific presidents that I should look for double edge lettering?

It can be any of the presidents as the mint still hasn't worked out the kinks, but most likely you'll find them With Adams and Washington. The Doubled edge lettering is just as easy to spot than the missing edge lettering. The doubled edge lettering will look like a bunch of gobbly-gook.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The only one I held out was a Zach Taylor with some not-quite-perfect edging. A couple of the letters are not fully formed, plus one of the stars is missing an entire leg of the star. These do not appear to be from wear as the rest of the partial letters/star are very well pronounced.

Eh, will just post some pics:
Sat Jul 16 11-55-30.jpg
Sat Jul 16 11-55-49.jpg
Sat Jul 16 11-56-14.jpg

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know, thank you. kcm, I don't know much about presidential dollar errors but hopefully somebody else can chime in on your coin!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I know as much as nothing. :tongue3:

Got my first-ever boxes about 3 weeks(?) ago and still going through them. No halves, but 1 box each of cents, nickels, dimes and quarters, + 4 rolls of small dollars. So far, having FAR better luck with cents than anything else. No silvers in any of the denominations. Still have more than 1/2 the cents to go through. Also, sorta gave up on the quarters 7/10 of the way through. Still have a few rolls I haven't checked, but may not take the time to. If do, it'll have to be this weekend.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd definitely keep the NIFCs as they're low mintage coins...

I haven't taken the plunge yet into these things as I just haven't been interested... maybe someday...

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: went to dump some coins at my dump bank and they let me know that they still had $350 in MWR small dollars so I bought them. Results:

1981D NIFC
1981S PROOF
2001S PROOF
2001S PROOF
2002S PROOF
2003S PROOF
2006S PROOF

not bad but I'll stick to other denominations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread